Stocking for a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't do much with a 5, here are probably your best 2 options:

1. Betta
Mystery snail or 6-7 ghost shrimp

2. 3 guppies (preferably all one gender, unless your friend wants babies. If the friend DOES want baby fish, get 1 male and 2 females)
Mystery snail or ghost shrimp

Ok I've got a couple options
1. 3 Guppies
2. A Betta with some shrimp and a snail
3. A Betta with an African Dwarf Frog and a snail
4. Just shrimp. Red Cherry Shrimp look awesome and it could be heavily planted.
Tell me which one or ones you like!

cherryshrimp__66278_zoom.jpg

NeocaridinaheteropodavarRed-Fire-1.jpg

He already has a Betta so the Betta with shrimp is appealing. Will red cherrry shrimp work and how many?

a school of 6 Celestial Pearl Danios.. they are nano fish that reach the size of .75in and they are very pretty! So that would be 4.5in of fish, and add 1 red cherry shrimp as the bottom dweller, he can take care of all the algae. I would stick with only one shrimp because these little guys will breed like crazy if you have a male and female.

Betta OR shrimp (shrimp = betta snacks), sparkling gourami, killifish, boraras, CPDs, snails, endlers.... there are actually a lot of choices.

I would assume he wants his Betta in the tank so what could go with it and how many?

I have heard of some Bettas eating shrimp but others have ignored them. I think a Dwarf Frog would be one of the best options with a Betta.

Well, it really depends on the personality of the betta. Some bettas don't get along with ANYthing else in the tank, other people have kept bettas with guppies. (Which is usually a big no-no) It really depends on the personality of the betta. The sad part is, though, when you buy them in the cups you really can't tell, so you need a place to put the betta if it doesn't get along with anything. They're just so hit-and-miss with other aquatic creatures.

He's planning on getting a 10 gallon now and I went to Petco today and he like the male guppies, glo light tetras and the platys. What are his option now. He also doesn't have the Betta anymore because he gave it to his sister.

I really think he should get a 20 gallon! It opens up so many more options. It costs like 10-15 dollars more but it ends up being worth it! A 20 gal community with neon tetras, guppies, and Cories looks really nice. Just option I think you should consider!

I really think he should get a 20 gallon! It opens up so many more options. It costs like 10-15 dollars more but it ends up being worth it! A 20 gal community with neon tetras, guppies, and Cories looks really nice. Just option I think you should consider!

10-15 dollars more?!?!?! I believe you can get a 10 gallon starter kit for $36, while a 20 gallon starter kit is $76.......Plus, for a 20 you need a stand, which is another $60-100. 10 gallon tanks can be put on desks, a counter, etc. He could get maybe 4 guppies and 3 platys, just once again make sure to get the same gender if not wanting baby fish. He also could add some shrimp or a snail.

Well I think a 10 gallon tank is like $15 and a 20 gallon is like $30. And I keep my 20 gallon on my dresser. You could keep them on a little table and it'd be fine you don't need a stand. Also a 20 gallon filter wouldn't cost much more than a 10 gallon. Maybe 10-15 dollars depending on how much extra filtration you want. Also if a stand is necessary building one is fairly cheap.

Yeah stands aren't necessary so a 20 gallon wouldn't cost that much more!

Back
Top Bottom