Stocking for a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of stores will tell you that brackish fish will be fine in freshwater in the long term. They are wrong. Also, keep in mind that you need marine salt mix to keep a brackish tank. Aquarium salt is totally different.

When you say that a clown pleco needs driftwood. Do the absolutely need it because of a food source. Or for some other reason. I know you can get alge waffers and also feed them stuff like cucumbers?

severum mama said:
A lot of stores will tell you that brackish fish will be fine in freshwater in the long term. They are wrong. Also, keep in mind that you need marine salt mix to keep a brackish tank. Aquarium salt is totally different.

As far as a brakish tank and using salt. With the fish i have now 5 serpaes 5 black fin tetras 5 yellow tetras. Would they be alright with a little salinity in the tank also what about angel fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeeter4158098 said:
As far as a brakish tank and using salt. With the fish i have now 5 serpaes 5 black fin tetras 5 yellow tetras. Would they be alright with a little salinity in the tank also what about angel fish?

No
Either rehome what you have and go brackish or keep your stock and not add anything brackish

Now beating the same question lol. Isnt it ok to or better to have some salt regardless of the fish? Say it helps with keeping fish healthy.

Finally ran out of strips. So broke down and got a api master kit. Everything reads good amonia is in the midlle of the two nitrites are in the middle of the two and nitrates are at 40. Have done a 50% water change. Planning on doing another 25% or 50% water change with in the next couple days when I have enough time do do one. I have 5 serpae 5 high fin black skirt tetras and 5 gold xray tetras. Looking at adding another at least 2 each to each school. And adding a school of either penguin tetras or black neon or bleeding heart tetras or Columbia tetras. Also would like to get at least two angel fish. They were my parents favorite fish and my parents have passed away so I really want to get two and name them after my parents. Also would like to possibly getting two black fin sharks (silver tiped sharks) the cat fish ones. Any thoughts?

emerald76 said:
Sailfins are actually a variety of common pleco I think, correct me if I'm wrong
The common plecos and their various derivatives get 2 feet long

So checked on sail fins yes they do get big as well. Still smaller then a plain common pleco though. Leaning towards maybe clown pleco.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, they are not brackish water fish.

Aquarium salt is totally different from marine salt mix, and is only useful for treating certain conditions. Long term use can be detrimental to the health of freshwater fish.

Now beating the same question lol. Isnt it ok to or better to have some salt regardless of the fish? Say it helps with keeping fish healthy?

Lol. Thanks. Sorry about that. Using the phone app so still trying to figure out how to do the quoting and what not.

It's cool. I don't think its possible to multiquote on the app, so I don't usually address those back to back posts, just wanted to mention the regular back to back posting. I catch myself doing it also sometimes when I have more to add to a post.

jetajockey said:
It's cool. I don't think its possible to multiquote on the app, so I don't usually address those back to back posts, just wanted to mention the regular back to back posting. I catch myself doing it also sometimes when I have more to add to a post.

There is a way to do it. Scroll to the posts you want to select, hit the arrow on the right, and touch select. Select all the posts, and then press the menu button of your phone and then choose multiquote reply. I know it is very similar with iOS but I don't know exactly how it's done.

jetajockey said:

maxwellag said:
There is a way to do it. Scroll to the posts you want to select, hit the arrow on the right, and touch select. Select all the posts, and then press the menu button of your phone and then choose multiquote reply. I know it is very similar with iOS but I don't know exactly how it's done.

jetajockey said:
I don't see a multiquote option on the android app.

I think it goes like this. Lol.

jetajockey said:
Ah I got it now. All this newfangled technology. Well, the bad news is I'm not letting anyone off the hook from now on!

What do you mean off the hook?

I think a school of dojo loaches would go along perfectly with the decor! With their little whiskers like chinese mustaches :)

Mikalicious209 said:
I think a school of dojo loaches would go along perfectly with the decor! With their little whiskers like chinese mustaches :)

I looked in to these. They would be great. How many would be a good size for a school? And was looking that they need plants or sand or fine gravel to borrow in?

Clown pleco need wood as food. Bristlenoses like wood because algae grows well on it. Bristlenose and bushy nose are interchangeable terms. Starlight BN are black and white. Hope that helps you!

Skeeter4158098 said:
I looked in to these. They would be great. How many would be a good size for a school? And was looking that they need plants or sand or fine gravel to borrow in?

emerald76 said:
6 is the minimum school

I have
5 serpae
5 blackfin tetras
5 gold tetra

Looking at adding at least 2 more schools of tetras. And making the schools either 6 or 8? Also want to Maybe add penguin or Columbian tetras. Would 6 of the do jos plus that and a pleco be to much for a 55 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom