Stocking for new 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to decide what to do for the stocking in my new 55 gallon tank. I know I want a good size school of cories and a Pleco for the tank but that's about it so far. There is a possibility that one of my angelfish would be put in the tank if there are aggression issues in the other tank. It's going to be a planted tank. 2 bulb t5ho light, 2 marineland penguin 50 gallon filters, and a sand bottom. Any suggestions on species of cories or Plecos and any other fish appreciated

Well there are a lot of options for you. I have kept a bunch of different cities over the years and really like julli's and sterbai. However I have to recommend that you check into the corydoras hasbrosas. It is sometimes sold as the dainty Cory or the salt and pepper Cory. It is one of the dwarf species and only gets to about 3/4" and is one of the most active shoals that I have ever kept. I have about 20 and they are all over the tank in groups of 2-4.

As far as the plecs go, I have always been partial to bushy nose. Ad far as the rest goes you have a ton of options. I have 20 harlequin rasboras with plans of another 10-20. They do great in big schools and will do good with your angel if you go that route. Good luck and have fun.

Personally I would go nano. Pygmy cories, scarlet badis, cpds, and a small species of pleco wouod be cool!

I have 2 bristlenose Plecos already. They are great fish but trying to find another species for the new tank. Do you think if i get 5-6 of two different types of cories will they school together or will they stay with their own species?

I have 2 bristlenose Plecos already. They are great fish but trying to find another species for the new tank. Do you think if i get 5-6 of two different types of cories will they school together or will they stay with their own species?

The million dollar question lol some will some wont. At least that is what I have read.

You can mix different species of cory's but they really like to be in a shoal of their own species.

I would also watch adding too many types of pleco's as you can actually have aggression issues especially if you get multiple males. Have you looked into Whiptail Cats which are in the pleco family? They are very peaceful and can be kept in groups. They get about 6 inches long but their bodes are no thicker than a pencil and have a very low bio-load. I keep 3 different species of Whiptail cats. If your looking for a small pleco I highly recommend Rio Negro pleco's. They stay very small. I have a little female that is still barely 2 inches after 2 years.

As for schooling fish you could use with or without and angelfish in the tank are Rainbowfish, Cardinal, Neon, Rummynose, Kerri, Lemon, or Diamond tetra's. Congo tetra's for a larger tetra. Purple or Regular Harlequin Rasbora's along with Threadfin rainbowfish. Also a pair of Bolivian or German Blue Rams.

I was only planning on having one Pleco in the tank. Those bristlenose Plecos are in a different tank not this one. Between all my tank I have bristlenose, clown, rubberlip and Hong Kong Pleco. So I'm looking for one besides those. I'll have to look into some of those tetras. I haven't kept most of those before.

I decided to start off by getting 2 sterbai cories. One of them is more of a tree dweller than a bottom dweller ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388530404.664815.jpg kinda hard to see. He is right behind the white glare line

A 55g planted tank with tons of little fish would be cool. The badis badis are very pretty little fish. You could get a couple blue and a couple scarlet. They have funny personalities and stay at the bottom of the tank. Rasboras and rainbows would all be good middle level fish. Maybe a pearl gourami as a "center piece"

Back
Top Bottom