Stocking guidelines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
1st off most manufacturers overrate their filters and water pumps by anywhere from 25 to 40 %...some say higher. Plus their filter size recommendations are strictly based on flow rate...they have no idea what you have in the tank.... so their recommendations are useless.

Lets go back to the old stocking rate guide of 1'' per gallon....lets say you had 10 neons ...10'' of fish....in a 10 gallon and the appropriate sized filter for that 10 gallon....you would be over filtered like crazy as the neons don't give off squat...ammonia or feces wise. You could turn the water over 10 times per hour and see no difference, Now put a 10'' Oscar in the 10 gallon...what happens....you're severely under filtered...that one large fish is putting out more crud and NH3 in one day than the 10 neons would in a year...same filter rated for a 10 gallons tank, even if the turn over is 20 times per hour the filter won't be able to handle it....if you put a 10'' koi in there he'd be dead in days...complete pollution.

When you stock a tank you have to look at the number of fish, the species, their potential metabolism...how much do they eat in the run of a day...everyone knows that goldfish and koi are probably the dirtiest of the ornamantals...where as pip squeaks like neons, cards, danioes are the least. Their are formulas for working out turn over rates, NH3 produced based on amounts fed and protein content etc .. Stock you tanks based on the species of fish and not some manufacturer marketing or some hobbyist guide lines...as in 1'' per 1 gallon.

Bottom line ...NH3 should always be 0.0ppm, NO2 should always be 0.0ppm and NO3 should be as low as possible. KH should generally be above 80ppm and if you want to get techy ORP should be 300mV+

98% of the stocking rules are crap and lots of people blindly follow them and don't have a clue why.... go by the size of the fish, numbers of those fish, the amount that you're feeding and then have high turn over rates for the tank and regular cleanings of the mechanical section of the filter , lots of bio and change water often

Never trust the life's of you fish solely to aqadvisor.com it has improved some but if your that stumped that's why this wonderful site called Aquarium Advice exists.

Eco23 (Mr.Modest)
The best tools you can use for stocking are common sense and AA. As well as some other factors...the big requirements IMO are filtration (including bio-filtration), commitment to pwc's and aquarium maintenance, water parameters (how quickly no3 climbs) and swim room. If you have good filtration, your tank is stable and established and there is plenty of room in the tank...more fish may be acceptable. For example, if you have top level swimmers, and some mid level schoolers but no bottom dwellers...as long as the tank is well filtered, you are on top of weekly pwcs and have a healthy bio-filter...adding some bottom level like fish (like Corys) ,if compatible, may be an acceptable decision. Again, common sense...if your tank appears nearly stocked...its probably already overstocked.

Just thought it may stop some stocking questions hope it helps cheers

Ryan Peddle

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, could you elaborate?

I agree, and this is why Aqadvisor isn't accurate. It doesn't take all that into consideration

You bring up a good point, especially to those not too experinced in stocking. People think they can go by the inch per gallon rule and other uselsess "rules", when they mean nothing.

Some good info. I think the best tools you can use for stocking are common sense and AA. As well as some other factors...the big requirements IMO are filtration (including bio-filtration), commitment to pwc's and aquarium maintenance, water parameters (how quickly no3 climbs) and swim room. If you have good filtration, your tank is stable and established and there is plenty of room in the tank...more fish may be acceptable. For example, if you have top level swimmers, and some mid level schoolers but no bottom dwellers...as long as the tank is well filtered, you are on top of weekly pwcs and have a healthy bio-filter...adding some bottom level like fish (like Corys) ,if compatible, may be an acceptable decision. Again, common sense...if your tank appears nearly stocked...its probably already overstocked.

I agree Aqadvisor is a fun site to play with, but not to use as any type of authority. In somewhat of a defense of the site...it does seem to be improving. I've been messing around with it for a long time now, and I've been seeing numbers changing (the site is updated by feedback) and falling more in line with what I believe are more appropriate %'s. I also like the fact they clearly state it should only be used as a guideline and they also promote you seeking advice from experienced hobbyists. Again though, there's no substitue for the great people here on AA :)

Last edited:
To me there are two types of people in this hobby. Those that want a fish tank and those that maintain aquariums.

The first group .. at least I find ...have no clue about stocking and could care less so 1-inch per fish means a 10 inch oscar in a 10gal tank with a 10gal capacity filter makes perfect sense! It looks cool so I'll put an arowana in a 20gal.

The second group are the ones who research and understand an aquarium is more than just the fish. They'll more correctly stock a tank or will want to learn more. Either first by fish which then determines the size tank, which then determines appropriate filtration. Or, by a tank size, which determines what fish and how many you can stock, which leads to appropriate filtration. And thats' just the fish, lets not even get into wanting a planted tank.

eco23 said:
Some good info. I think the best tools you can use for stocking are common sense and AA. As well as some other factors...the big requirements IMO are filtration, commitment to pwc's and aquarium maintenance, water parameters (how quickly no3 climbs) and swim room. If you have good filtration, your tank is stable and established and there is plenty of room in the tank...more fish may be acceptable. For example, if you have top level swimmers, and some mid level schoolers but no bottom dwellers...as long as the tank is well filtered, you are on top of weekly pwcs and have a healthy bio-filter...adding some bottom level like fish (like Corys) ,if compatible, may be an acceptable decision. Again, common sense...if your tank appears nearly stocked...its probably already overstocked.

I agree Aqadvisor is a fun site to play with, but not to use as any type of authority. In somewhat of a defense of the site...it does seem to be improving. I've been messing around with it for a long time now, and I've been seeing numbers changing (the site is updated by feedback) and falling more in line with what I believe are more appropriate %'s. I also like the fact they clearly state it should only be used as a guideline and they also promote you seeking advice from experienced hobbyists. Again though, there's no substitue for the great people here on AA :)

Absolutely Eco I would like to use some of your words in my post if I can and of course give you credit as well
Maybe we can get a sticky

ryan-peddle said:
Absolutely Eco I would like to use some of your words in my post if I can and of course give you credit as well
Maybe we can get a sticky

You're welcome to use any and/or all my words as you like...no credit needed :)

You're doing a good thing getting info out there, I'm just adding my 2 cents on the back of your idea. It's all you my friend.

Back
Top Bottom