Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shope.hannah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have another thread about starting up my new tank which a lot of y'all have helped me with so much! This is a new thread about stocking, now that I am cycled and everything is going well. For those of you who never saw my previous thread this is my information
-one platy
-one swordtail.
-one algae eater
I'm hoping to get nerite snails as soon as possible that someone on here suggested to me which I really appreciate.
So, I'm wondering what would be the best fish to add? I want to do it slowly so I can keep a check on my water since I've had so much trouble with it. I would just like to see recommendations and go slowly down that list. Thanks!

First you have to remind us of the tank size, filtration, and what you would like to see in your tank - I am taking from what you already have that you want peaceful tank fish. When you are looking at fish, read about how many of that type need to be together. Some like to school, other shoal. And add a list of your number for Ammon. and so forth. Knowing all this can really help us tell you what we think!!

Ok thanks. All I know right now because I'm not at home is that the tank size is a 20 Gallon. The filter is just a filter for that size I can check the details when I get home and yes I want peaceful and would like schooling if I can have enough.
My levels are
Ph 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Do you know what type of algae eater you have? Also both platy's and sword's have high bio-loads and male swords can grow up to 5+ inches. So considering you have two or even possibly 3 heavy bio-load fish depending on what the algae eater is you might only want to do something like a school of 6 neon or cardinal tetras or harliquen rasboras, and maybe 3 cory cats for bottom activity and clean up. You have to take into consideration the adult size of fish when stocking. The tank can look empty at first but alot of those cute little fish like swordtails you buy at the store can grow to be pretty big.

I see. I have had those two ever since I set the tank up about 3 months ago. So I don't know how much bigger they will get but they aren't big right now at all. Ok so 6 small ones. My algae eater is the average pleco that's all my pet store had. I was told on here to get snails but they also don't carry those so I have to get those when I go to a bigger town :/ so that's why I got stuck with that algae eater. I will def check into the rasboras I've never had any. I had a few neons and I like those as well.

Something else to keep in mind... it sounds like you maybe have a common pleco which will eventually grow much too big for that size tank. They also have a high bio-load. So down the road you'll have to either get a much bigger tank or rehome him. Just want you to have the info so you know what to expect.

Yes. I had heard this :( I'm hoping to re home him once I get some snails.

If you're in a rural area try looking in the want/for sale/trades listings. A lot of the times you will find people wanting to lighten the load in snails and would probably be open to a trade of some kind.

Ok. So I took the advice and bought three neons. Just like last time, I come home and one is stuck to the filter dead. This time my algae eater had ate on it! The last time I got three my water wasn't perfect. Two died the first night. The other lasted for about a month and then out of nowhere one morning was stuck to the filter, still alive. I got it off but it was past saving. This time my water is perfect! And all my other fish are fine. I'm assuming the other two neons will be dead in the morning. What could be the problem?! Seems like a neon issue.

Neons are good fish but they are a little sensitive for approx a week after introducing them to the tank. Just keep trying also i would recommend buying them in larger numbers because they need to be enough of them to school maybe a minimum of six or ten. You may also try a different acclimation process. I always use the drip method. This is far superior than the float the bag method and since i have gone to that method i very rarely loose fish. Dont give up. Also a little note on neon's they like cooler water i dont keep mine in anything above 75 deg F

Neons do not need cool water. They will thrive in anything from 70-85. Most, if not all fish, will adjust to any temperature between 70-85. As long as it isn't a drastic change, just a slow adjustment. Did you get these neons form a chain store? What is your acclimation process?

Ok well maybe it was how I acclimated it. I let it float for about 40 minutes. Then I slowly added tank water but I didn't do it by the drop. So, my others are fine this morning. So they must have adjusted ok. My last set I got I assume the tel died from shock. But the last one held on for a month or so like I said and then all of a sudden was stuck to the filter one day. So I don't think that could have been from the water. I'm hoping these two will make it. I know they needles to school with but I hate to buy more and all of them die. I've never been able to get them to last long enough to buy enough to school with. I read where they liked hiding so I stuck a few more artificial plants in in kind of a clump and this morning that's where one came out of soothe that helps with the stress level?

And I got them from my local pet store where I got my first batch. Very clean and kept store and the fish all look healthy so assuming its my acclimation process

I haven't ever used the drip acclimation. I float them and add about 2 ounces of tank water every 10 mins for 2 hours, and then net them, and dump the water. Never want to risk passing parasites.

Right. I did net them. But I didn't add tank water that slowly. The other two are fine as of right now and I did a small water change. I guess I will see how they fare and that will depend on getting more. I almost want to just see if those two will last and get a school or rasboras like someone on here recommended. Maybe they would fare better than the neons.

Neons can be touch and go. Maybe ask your fish store if theirs die off or if they keep the same fish for an extended period of time. Hopefully they are honest with you.

I asked them that the first time and they said they usually have good luck with them. And they do always look healthy and happy when I see them

Also my swordtail is pestering my platys? Never done this before. It's not bad. Just seems annoying for them.

Also my swordtail is pestering my platys? Never done this before. It's not bad. Just seems annoying for them

Back
Top Bottom