Stocking help? I want new fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daumi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Everyone!

New to this forum, and I have a couple of questions. I have a 40 gallon tank that has been up and running for over two years now. It houses 6 zebra danios, 1 female betta, 5 peppered cories and 4 recently added (6 months ago) 4 ghost shrimp. I would really like some ideas on putting something else in there. I prefer a more natural looking tank and inhabitants (the betta being the exception). My dream would be a small, odd numbered school of rosey barbs, but I don't want them to eat my shrimp (which they will).

What ideas do you guys have??:-D

Rosy barbs can be fairly nippy IME. Mine do well with tiger barbs.

Seems like the middle/bottom of the tank is empty - perhaps some cherry barbs and a pair of dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos would fill it out.

To fill the middle why don't you go with a school of tetras... There's white skirts black skirts, serpe's* (spelling), red eye, head and tail light, lemon... There are a ton of variaties....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I love GBR's but I have had them completely wipe out a small colony of shrimp before. I love the idea of having the cherry barbs, but still think I would like to have some sort of centerpiece fish taht won't eat my shrimp.

Shrimp exist to be eaten....anything that won't eat the shrimp would be too small to be considered "centerpieces"

I suppose I will have to think it through. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

I think barbs can be a bit too nippy to add with a betta.

I really like the idea of a school of penguin tetras. How many would you add in my situation??

Not into livebearers. Plus Mollies prefer Brackish water is I recall correctly. Thank you for the input though.

You don't think 7 would start to overstock the tank??

I have a german blue ram which is a gorgeous and dont nip. But with them its the luck of the draw.But i also have a dwarf gourami and 4 serpeas and they dont nip any of my fish. I go with the ram.

This is true siva and that's what I told my wife but she just had to have a betta and you best believe that I watched it like a hawk got like the first week ready to pull it out if it showed any aggression lol. I'm glad it worked out though cause I have mts and she is against it :(

LOL yeah I have a rainbow shark that is in with little shrimp and platy fry and things by all rights he should be aggresive towards (including a female betta) but he's as cool as a cucumber :cool: You never know what you're gonna get.

Back
Top Bottom