Stocking Help: What are FUN fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slarty Bartfast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 40 gal, with the following
4 bloodfin tetras
2 striped loaches (striata botias, maybe)
1 zebra loach (dario botia?)
1 rubber lipped pleco.
Fake silk plants, several rock areas, bubble curtain...

The loaches, especially the zebra loach, are a blast. The stripeds really get crazy during feeding time, and the zebra loach is a great hider, and fun to watch scavenging the bottom. The stripeds really move the gravel around to make little caves, etc. The bloodfins school nicely, and are fast, so they're fun too. The pleco, well, it's a pleco.

I sort of like the stuff that hides, but seem to have enough of that with the loaches/pleco.

My question is, any recommendations for fish that are fairly peaceful like these all seem to be, and also do fun stuff? I have three kids, and fun is critical. Or interesting is good too, I was thinking about some glass shrimp.

Thanks in advance!!

i think black ghost knifefish are fun to watch... the way they move is spectacular.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=857&N=0 a 40 gallon tank is cutting it a little close on size, but IMO you should be okay unless you have a weird shape like a hex or cube tank or something.

but they may eventually eat your tetras. so maybe this is a pointless reply.

i still think they're cool though.

A lot of bottom feeders do seem to be fun fish don't they. Cories are another example of bottom feeders that are a riot. For middle or top dwellers my gourami's are quite a blast. They race around the tank, chasing but never nipping each other. I follow the rule of 2 females per male. I have recently fallen head over heals in love with German Blue Rams. I don't know if they are all entertaining but mine are still young and do "play" quite a bit. Check out the thread on GBR's on this site if you want to get more info on these fish. Most schooling fish can be fun because they act so silly in groups.

If you want beauty, angelfish are gorgeous IMO. They aren't the most active but they can be so gorgeous.

This may sound crazy but bettas are usually quite active and interesting in larger tanks.
I think a gourami or betta would make a nice centerpiece fish. You could go with multiple gouramis but 2 is not usually a good number to get; 1 or 3+ is usually best.

I think the fish I enjoy the most besides my 2 fire eels are my Bolivian and German Blue Rams. They have awsome personalities, and are very fun to watch. For schooling fish, I really like my Serpae Tetras and Rummy Nose Tetras. The rummys school much better though.

Now you're going to get sooo many suggestions, you won't know what to do! The common ol' zebra danio is a super active fish that can be fun if you like action. I have 6 young rainbowfish that are fun to watch, too, they are pretty smart little guys and always on the move. Either of those types of fish will get along with the fish you have. For quirky personality, I would agree with the other folks that have suggested various cichlids.

Good luck! I'd spend some time at the LFS and watch the fish for a while, see what catches your eye.

I second the Danio's, they stay at the top part of your tank and come running when its feeding time.

They are also available as a Glofish, very colorful version.( but more expensive)

Danios are fun little fast fish and you can get quite a few for a tank that size. I would steer clear of the black ghost knife previously suggested as they can & will grow to over a foot! I have seen several that have gotten that large so I know it is not a crock. If you are looking for shrimp, you could go with ghost shrimp. I have several and they are pretty neat and their tummies turn the color of the food they eat. I fed mine some peas and they were green! Too funny. Good luck in your search!!

Colombian Shark are the best!!! They never stop moving and they are very friendly.

However, they will eventually turn into brackishwater fish tho

If you are looking for shrimp, you could go with ghost shrimp.

I agree completely...regardless of what you decide to get for fish,pick up some of these...Cool and cheap(30 cents).Heck they even hide too...

A hint:Find out when the LFS gets its shipment and go that day for the shrimp (not the fish) so you can get the biggest ones that come in...much less likely to become food.

i agree with the danios. They were the first fish to go into my tank, and I would not trade them in for anything. They aren't very colorful, but they are very fun to watch. Mine will chase each other all around the tank all day long. I call them the 4 year olds on a sugar high.

Perhaps some Long fin Rosy barbs. If taken care of they bring wonderful color to a tank and will look great with your blood fin tetras. While not as active / insane as their tiger barb cousin they are still very active.

I will add that my favorites are bottom dwellers--cories, loaches and plecos. If I could have a tank that was only a foot deep, two feet wide and the length of my living room wall, I would be in "fun" fish heaven. However, it looks like you need mid to high dwellers.

BLOOD!!

Wow. Just fed them bloodworms for the first time today. Looks like ALL fish are amusing when those things hit the water. Everything, even stuff hiding, comes running. Must be the smell.

Thanks again for all the tips, went and picked up a dwarf gourami, and two zebra danios. So far, so good!

looks like you have enough bottom feeders... my suggestion for the fish with the most personality that would fit in your tank- Angelfish. Cichlids seem to be the most intelligent and interactive in my experience and angelfish are beuatiful adn a ton of fun. YOu could proably get 2-3 in there and as they grow out you may have to remove one but they are one of my favorite freshwater fish.

Back
Top Bottom