Stocking idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad dog fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Eventually, I plan to change what is in my tank to the following: two angelfish, four dwarf gouramis and assorted bottom dwellers. About five of these. I have a 45 gallon tank. Is this a good or bad idea?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your angels may or may not fight. Your DG's probably will fight.

You can try two angels, 4 pearl gouramis, and corydoras.

Pearl gourami's are really pretty and don't fight with each other

If the two angels fight, return the aggressor or whichever one you like least. Another thing you could do would be to put a bunch of fast growing plants in so the angels can hide if they do fight.

You can use aqadvisor.com to see how much you should be water changing or how much you can stock.

What is the footprint on this tank? I would personally stay away from angelfish for this tank as it is likely too small. They really need something larger, in the 55-75 gallon range as they are large as adults and are often quite territorial.

Dwarf gouramis can be tricky. The males can be pretty confrontational, and I would say four would be fine if it was 1 male and 3 females, but finding female dwarf gouramis is almost impossible in my area (not sure how it is elsewhere). With 4 males, make sure the tank is either heavily planted or has plenty of places to hide. You may still be looking at stress and bullying with these guys and you may eventually only have one.

Bottom dwellers are always fun, just remember many of them are shoaling species and need to be kept in groups. :)

What is the footprint on this tank? I would personally stay away from angelfish for this tank as it is likely too small. They really need something larger, in the 55-75 gallon range as they are large as adults and are often quite territorial.

Dwarf gouramis can be tricky. The males can be pretty confrontational, and I would say four would be fine if it was 1 male and 3 females, but finding female dwarf gouramis is almost impossible in my area (not sure how it is elsewhere). With 4 males, make sure the tank is either heavily planted or has plenty of places to hide. You may still be looking at stress and bullying with these guys and you may eventually only have one.

Bottom dwellers are always fun, just remember many of them are shoaling species and need to be kept in groups. :)

They females are almost impossible to find all around. Also, the footprint is 36x18x16. A 45 gal is a 40 Breeder I believe.

I think you could do one angel. Two would be tricky though.

It sucks that the females are so hard to find because adding female gouramis changes the male's dynamic so much. I had a 30 gallon species tank of these guys yeeeaaars ago, back when you could easily find female DGs at Walmart of all places, with 3 males and 5 females. I had one male of each colour - powder blue, flame, and wild type. They fussed with each other at times, but mostly chased the girls around. It was one of my favourite tanks.

Anyway, if that is indeed the footprint of this tank, I don't believe angels will work. They really need the tallness provided by a 55 or 75. 40Bs are one of my favourite size tanks but they don't have a huge amount of vertical space. There are lots of other, smaller cichlids that would work in a tank this size, though!

What sort of cichlids do you suggest?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom