Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently aquired a 40 gallon breeder aquarium and I was wondering what types of fish of should keep in it. I was planning on putting live plants into it but I'm unsure what fish options would work out with this tank. I was thinking some neon tetras and tiger barbs with a center piece fish but I have no idea what would make a cool and unique center piece. If you have any ideas please let me know!

I also plan on added a 20 gallon sump so that should increase the population that my tank can withstand. All comments are welcome so please feel free to submit some thoughts.:confused:

Generally people like to fill out all levels of the tank to have an active community. You wanted neons and tigers? Here is what I would do:
X7 Neons
X10 Tiger Barbs
X7 Hatchetfish
X6 Cories of your choice
X1 Centerpiece of some personal choice

This is by no means what you have to do. If you have any ideas feel free to share! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Generally people like to fill out all levels of the tank to have an active community. You wanted neons and tigers? Here is what I would do:
X7 Neons
X10 Tiger Barbs
X7 Hatchetfish
X6 Cories of your choice
X1 Centerpiece of some personal choice

This is by no means what you have to do. If you have any ideas feel free to share! :)

What do you think of a Gold Dojo Loach as the centerpiece but two of them? Is there a fish that could replace the hatchetfish? Never been a fan of those :/

I heard that cichlids are aggressive and stir up the bottom so they would be bad for a planted tank. I could be wrong but that is from multiple sources. I do love their colors though.

Jmifland said:
I heard that cichlids are aggressive and stir up the bottom so they would be bad for a planted tank. I could be wrong but that is from multiple sources. I do love their colors though.

That is most cichlids like big SA cichlids or African Lake ones. But there are some species like dwarf cichlids and some big ones with mild temperaments such as a keyhole or an angel that are quite peaceful IMO.

Jmifland said:
What do you think of a Gold Dojo Loach as the centerpiece but two of them? Is there a fish that could replace the hatchetfish? Never been a fan of those :/

No, loaches like to be in schools of five or more. To replace hatchets you could try some smaller danios.

Even a gold dojo loach? Looks more like an eel.

Back
Top Bottom