Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JokerWx13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've just finished cycling my 20g tank and i would say it's moderately planted. i already have some ideas on what to stock it with but i don't know if that would make it overstocked :l

So i was thinking 12 neon tetra and 12 guppies because i love seeing them move around together in groups xD would this be okay as a stocking idea?

---OR---

Should i go for something a liiiiiittle bigger? Say...1 Blue and 1 Gold gourami, 2 swordtails and 6 platy? would this be considered overstocked too?

*p.s* i'll probably add a cleanup crew sometime after these fish have established themselves

JokerWx13 said:
So I've just finished cycling my 20g tank and i would say it's moderately planted. i already have some ideas on what to stock it with but i don't know if that would make it overstocked :l

So i was thinking 12 neon tetra and 12 guppies because i love seeing them move around together in groups xD would this be okay as a stocking idea?

---OR---

Should i go for something a liiiiiittle bigger? Say...1 Blue and 1 Gold gourami, 2 swordtails and 6 platy? would this be considered overstocked too?

*p.s* i'll probably add a cleanup crew sometime after these fish have established themselves

I would go for option one, but there may be some issues. Tetras like to nip long flowing fins, so they might hurt the guppies. Also, guppies are social fish, not schooling fish. This means that they might hang out together, but they don't all travel as a group like tetras. The guppies I had always did their own thing. You could try another school of something like danios. And you could also have cories or some other bottom dweller.

JokerWx13 said:
it's a 20g high so basically a 10g with twice the height :)

Oh, then the 12 neon tetras won't work. I would say 6-8. And danios would prefer a longer tank. But guppies would be fine.

I would go for option one, but there may be some issues. Tetras like to nip long flowing fins, so they might hurt the guppies. Also, guppies are social fish, not schooling fish. This means that they might hang out together, but they don't all travel as a group like tetras. The guppies I had always did their own thing. You could try another school of something like danios. And you could also have cories or some other bottom dweller.

really? tetras don't seem like the nipping type o.o and having guppies all over the place may or may not be a bad thing...hmmm....crazy random color all over the place? lol i had considered zebra danios cuz i saw a bunch in my lfs but i thought the guppies had much more life and color to them. i might reconsider getting danios instead of guppies, thx :)

Tetra and guppies would be cool, but i think 12 guppies is alot, even if its 12 males so you would not have fries.
What other fishes do you like?

JokerWx13 said:
wait, why wouldn't the 12 tetras work? o.o

They would need more swimming room. Longer tanks offer more swimming room than taller tanks.

JokerWx13 said:
really? tetras don't seem like the nipping type o.o and having guppies all over the place may or may not be a bad thing...hmmm....crazy random color all over the place? lol i had considered zebra danios cuz i saw a bunch in my lfs but i thought the guppies had much more life and color to them. i might reconsider getting danios instead of guppies, thx :)

Danios would work either... They need a tank that is 30 inches long. I have seen my tetras nip at the guppies I had... It was not pleasant, let's just say that. Lol

Tetra and guppies would be cool, but i think 12 guppies is alot, even if its 12 males so you would not have fries.
What other fishes do you like?

if i was planning to go with the smaller fish i would definitely get a couple red cherry shrimp cuz they're so cute lol and they make a good cleanup crew and maybe a couple of otos to tackle the wave of brown algae i've got now :)

I think 12 guppies and 12 neons would be overstocked...

How bout 7 neons and a gourami. Unless you can find a female you probably wouldn't want two males. Guppies have a high bioload so I think 12 would be way too many. Plus, if you want a mix of males and females (1m:2f ratio) you'll end up with fry. Then if you have a gourami, no fry anymore!

Others with more experience could help with the actual numbers, but I think you could do a mix of guppies, neons, gourami and even platies, but in smaller numbers than 12 each!

JokerWx13 said:
if i was planning to go with the smaller fish i would definitely get a couple red cherry shrimp cuz they're so cute lol and they make a good cleanup crew and maybe a couple of otos to tackle the wave of brown algae i've got now :)

That's probably diatoms. It should go away after a few months.

VioletEmber said:
Plus, if you want a mix of males and females (1m:2f ratio) you'll end up with fry. Then if you have a gourami, no fry anymore!
Yeah, the fry will be eaten unless you can provide a lot of small hiding places. About half of the fry go to the bottom, half go to the top. I recommend bushy fake floating plants, and java moss or guppy grass for the bottom.

Looks good. Just watch in how many guppies.

I would put 6 neon tetras in there. Then you could get some cool pygmy cories or otos. Nerite snails are also good for algae. And you could probably have something else too, but it will need to me small and not require a school.

wow! thanks guys for the quick feedback, now im thinking 6 tetras and 6 guppies with a gourami or two. just wondering tho, if i get a carpet plant, will the gourami find the red cherry shrimp i might get?

JokerWx13 said:
wow! thanks guys for the quick feedback, now im thinking 6 tetras and 6 guppies with a gourami or two. just wondering tho, if i get a carpet plant, will the gourami find the red cherry shrimp i might get?

No, that should be fine. If the gourami doesn't see the shrimp, it won't get them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom