Stocking ideas !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok currently the tank has an 8 inch fire eel and 2 one inch blood parrot cichlids . I'm looking for somthing with a lot of color !

I only want to do one of the following :

- neon blue gourami
- group of bosami rainbow fish
- a pair of German blue rams
- some other medium/top swimming fish

Please help ! And feel free to add other suggestions :)

Ok currently the tank has an 8 inch fire eel and 2 one inch blood parrot cichlids . I'm looking for somthing with a lot of color !

- neon blue gourami

What size tank. None of those will really work.

- neon blue gourami

Tank size, tank parms, ect. All of those fish will get eaten by the fire eel

100 gallon tank , ph 7.4 temp. 77 , nitrate nitrite and ammonia are zero . The tank is running two 405 fluval filters . And my fire eel will eat worms and love shrimp but won't touch guppy fry .

If it was me I would get rid of the parrots

I hate them fish they are like a tropical fany goldfish that doesn't swim around the wobble most have messed up jaws and can't close there mouths

I just hate man made hybrids we have millions of nice fish to pick from why do we need to make any

With a 100 gal you have lots to choose from

I noticed that a lot at the store that some of their mouths were messed up . I picked two that were healthy and normal shaped ... I totally agree about the being against the mutation of species but some hybrids are ok . The mule for instance . What could I do then with all that room ? I was thinking of doing a large school of somthing or a pair of some dwarf cichlid

With that much tank space you could have a really good school of some of the bigger exotic tetras like buenos aires, or anything like that.

I noticed that a lot at the store that some of their mouths were messed up . I picked two that were healthy and normal shaped ... I totally agree about the being against the mutation of species but some hybrids are ok . The mule for instance . What could I do then with all that room ? I was thinking of doing a large school of somthing or a pair of some dwarf cichlid

The mule hahaha

A animal the is stubborn can't run that's not good it has taken away nearly all the things a horse like to do

But makes a great work horse ... Fulfills it's purpose . Ok can we please not argue about this and continue the thread ?

If it was me I would get rid of the parrots

I hate them fish they are like a tropical fany goldfish that doesn't swim around the wobble most have messed up jaws and can't close there mouths

I just hate man made hybrids we have millions of nice fish to pick from why do we need to make any

With a 100 gal you have lots to choose from

Well that was helpful.

Anyways IMO the fire eel is what is limiting you most for what you want. If you get rid of the fire eel you have almost limitless possibilities for colorful fish.

If you keep the fire eel then you are limited to larger cichlids but they might pick on the eel. Cichlids can add allot of color and activity but again you are risking the eel. If I had a 100 gallon with an eel I might do a texas cichlid, green terror, salvini or red festea.

If you can find large electric blue jack dempsey or you can grow some they might do really well because they aren't overly aggressive.

Ok I'm deffinitly not getting rid of the eel , he has become quite the character in the tank , and would the electric blue jack be ok with the two blood parrots ?

Ok I'm deffinitly not getting rid of the eel , he has become quite the character in the tank , and would the electric blue jack be ok with the two blood parrots ?

I can understand getting attached to a particular fish you just have to work around it. Other options I thought of that will work with your eel would severums you can get them in orange, red, green. you could also get geophagus, they don't look like much as juvies but get great color as they grow look great in shoal IMO.

The EBJD's will do great with blood parrots given they are large enough that the eel can't eat them they will do great. They are quite peaceful I had one in with a school of cherry barbs. But adults can stand up for themselves, if the blood parrots get ornery. Problem is finding them as adults.

Just thought of another. Fire mouths, I love my firemouths great personality and colors get beautiful as they grow. they wont go after your eel and will be fine with your parrots. I have a pair and they are one of my favorite fish. If you have a grow out tank I can send you some babies they grow rather quickly. PM me if you are interested.

Just getting over jet lag so that is why I couldn't think of these yesterday.

Just thought of another. Fire mouths, I love my firemouths great personality and colors get beautiful as they grow. they wont go after your eel and will be fine with your parrots. I have a pair and they are one of my favorite fish. If you have a grow out tank I can send you some babies they grow rather quickly. PM me if you are interested.

Just getting over jet lag so that is why I couldn't think of these yesterday.

Ahh, that's a great idea! Fire mouths are a great idea

I really like the EBJD's and the orange shoulder severums :) but I also really like the fire mouth !!! :) I have a 72 bowfront laying around so if I need a grow out I have one . But the EBJD's are so expensive !!! And aren't jacks really aggressive ? I don't want any thing to harm the eel. And are any of these fish likely to pair up and breed ????

I really like the EBJD's and the orange shoulder severums :) but I also really like the fire mouth !!! :) I have a 72 bowfront laying around so if I need a grow out I have one . But the EBJD's are so expensive !!! And aren't jacks really aggressive ? I don't want any thing to harm the eel. And are any of these fish likely to pair up and breed ????

All of those fish will do well together. Jacks are aggressive but for some reason the Electric blue variations are not people put them in with community fish. Something about the mutant jean mellows them out. Yes they are expensive but IMO well worth it. EBJDS I must say are more sensitive to stress than the others.

Out of all of the ones mentioned the Fire mouths breed the easiest.

35 tiger/green/albino barbs, an 2 German blue rams? Sounds awesome to me

How aggressive are the fire mouths ? And I think I will do an electric blue once I can get a deal on one :) and I did think of a large school of tiger barbs but aren't they really fun nippy ?

Back
Top Bottom