Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

violetthunder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm down to three fish in my tank and it looks super empty.

It's a ten gallon tank with a Top Fin 10 filter and the temperature stays at about 78 degrees. pH is at 7, ammonia is at 0 ppm.

Currently in the tank I have one red platy and two silver tipped tetras. They're all very small, the largest tetra at maybe one inch.

What can I add to the tank to give it more color? I also have two silk plants and two small tank ornaments. I was thinking of adding a dwarf gourami. Would that work with a ten gallon tank? I know my options are limited with such a small tank.

Thanks for any advice!

-Megan

Ember tetras, celestial Pearl danios, green neon tetras, and Pygmy corydora are all small addition options you could do. Bearing in mind they are all schooling fish meaning 5+ is strongly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Both the platies and silver tip tetras are best kept in larger numbers.

For the platies, at least 3 with a group of 2 females to one male, all females, or possibly all males, but you don't want to have the boys outnumber the girls.

For silver tip tetras, 6+ is recommended as they are schooling fish.

I think it would be better to up the numbers of the fish species you currently have to groups, rather than adding other fish species.

A 10 gallon is pretty limited in the number of fish you can have (unless you go with microfish). I'd say with 3 platies and 6 silver tip tetras, you would be fully stocked. :)

I'd also consider getting some more plants to make your current fish feel more safe.

Back
Top Bottom