Stocking Ideas for 165 G fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kvandenplas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

i’ve come slightly closer to forming my exact stock in my 165G fresh. I would still love some feed back on the list if everyone wants to chime in with personal opinion!

2 long fin blue rams
6-8 peacock gudgeons
20 bleeding heart tetra
20 black phantom tetra
6-8 keyhole cichlids
8 khuli loaches
8 goby of some sort
10-20 corys

I’m thinking my list is still a bit overzealous and I realize, but this is a good start for now. May reduce the size of the schooling tetra. Also might opt for another pair of dwarf cichlids (or 10-12 keyhole cichlids) over the school of peacock gudgeons (heavily planted tank). May opt for 20 khulis instead of gobys, or 10 khulis and 6-8 hillstream or saddleback loaches

The more center swimming fish are of similar body shape, differing body shapes can make it look more interesting.

It seems you would need hiding places and caves. Maybe some leaf littler.

Sounds beautiful. As long as the filtration isn't overwhelmed by all the fish at once, added in a measured way, I think you could keep the fish listed and some additional ones you were considering.

Kuhlis love hiding away and often you never even see them. Although they are a favorite of mine. A bottom fish which is visually part of the community activity may be considered.

What a fun sounding tank.

Thank you for the feedback! I keep going back and forth, and probably will continue to do so as I scape my tank. In regards to caves and hiding places, i’ll have tons. Sitting on 50 lb’s of rainbow rock, 25 assorted pieces of manzanita/bonsai driftwood and 90 or so lb’s of flourite. Aquascaping is my favorite part of fish keeping so i’m looking forward to it.
My list changed up a bit as well.
20 bleeding heart tetra
15-20 congo tetra
8-12 keyhole cichlids
12-20 khuli loaches
8-12 peacock guegeons
2 long fin blue rams
15-20 assorted corys
10 bamboo shrimp

The math at adult size comes out to be something like 85% stocked, 25% water changes recommended with 2 canister filters (390gph).

I love the Congo Tetras, recently kept a dozen for a couple years.

These fish are really nice for the upper 1/4-1/3 of the tank.
Neon Green Kubotai video below.

Also I really like Hatchet fish. The Silver ones are really interesting, I just have one adopted Marbled Hatchet at this point hanging out with them, would like more, as well.

Neon Green Rasbora - Microdevario Kubotai They have a sheen of periwinkle /violet purple depending on the light and tannins, across the top portion of their back. Very active, plus an unusual color. <3

Back
Top Bottom