Stocking Indecision for 100L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissSmish

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you know what you want in a tank?

I'm doing my first tank, it's 100L (not sure of the gallons sorry) and I love it, but I can't decide what I want in there. I have a long list of fish I really love and want but no idea on how to trim it down. I want lots of colour/activity but relatively easy to care for. Most of the fish I'm looking at are community fish as well.

The only three that I've firmly decided on is a small school of cardinal tetras and two different kinds of loaches, but I also want the following:

Assorted Guppies (one of each colour, red, blue, black, orange, red, yellow etc)
Albino Corydoras or the Corydoras Pygmaeus
Assorted Platies (Particularly a blue mickey mouse)
Checker Barbs
Borneo Suckers
Glass Catfish

There's a tonne of other fish I want... But these are the ones I like the most. So, as above, how did you decide on what you want in your tank? Are there any combinations you've tried that you've regretted and if so why?

Sorry for all the questions! Indecision is not my friend!!

I'm doing my first tank, it's 100L (not sure of the gallons sorry) and I love it, but I can't decide what I want in there. I have a long list of fish I really love and want but no idea on how to trim it down. I want lots of colour/activity but relatively easy to care for. Most of the fish I'm looking at are community fish as well.

The only three that I've firmly decided on is a small school of cardinal tetras and two different kinds of loaches, but I also want the following:

Assorted Guppies (one of each colour, red, blue, black, orange, red, yellow etc)
Checker Barbs
Borneo Suckers
Glass Catfish

There's a tonne of other fish I want... But these are the ones I like the most. So, as above, how did you decide on what you want in your tank? Are there any combinations you've tried that you've regretted and if so why?

IMO a number of your fish you mentioned should be in a tank that has been set up for a considerable amount of time (E.G. Cardinal Tetras) The cories are a good idea, and I would also agree that the platies are a good choice, as are the guppies. If you are looking for the general color of the Cardinal Tetra, Neon Tetras are a bit cheaper and a lot hardier. I personally would ask myself, "What fish would I enjoy watching in the long run?"

This is just my opinion, I'm sure another experienced person will chime in. Good luck!

P.S. I would love to help you narrow down your ideas, so I would look up some fish, and tell me/us what you think is cool. I/we will help you narrow down your results for you.

I want a lot of colour to the fish, because I'm doing a relatively natural looking tank. I'd rather have a lot of small fish than a few large ones.

Some of the gourami's are gorgeous but I have my heart set on the tetras and didn't know if they'd work all that well. The gouramis I was looking at were dwarf coral blues and moonlight gouramis.

What are rainbows like?

Neons are on the list too, but the cardinals seem to have more colour to them?

I do like Mollies, but find their colours to be rather similar to the platies and I prefer the shape of the platies...

I'd LOVE a black ghost knife but I know it'll get too big for my tank :(

It's frustrating and funny, I got the biggest tank I could and I still can't fit all the fish I want!! :banghead: :lol:

Last edited:
Oh and I'm open to any suggestions! I love colour though, so the more colour the better, and if they're active and coloured I'm in heaven!! :lol:

I want a lot of colour to the fish, because I'm doing a relatively natural looking tank. I'd rather have a lot of small fish than a few large ones.

Some of the gourami's are gorgeous but I have my heart set on the tetras and didn't know if they'd work all that well. The gouramis I was looking at were dwarf coral blues and moonlight gouramis.

What are rainbows like?

Neons are on the list too, but the cardinals seem to have more colour to them?

I do like Mollies, but find their colours to be rather similar to the platies and I prefer the shape of the platies...

I'd LOVE a black ghost knife but I know it'll get too big for my tank :(

It's frustrating and funny, I got the biggest tank I could and I still can't fit all the fish I want!! :banghead: :lol:
Gouramis are pretty good with small things, I was previously planning to get a gold one and put it with my Neon Tetras. I checked with the wonderful users on here and they said it would be fine. IME Cardinals are fragile and need very good water conditions. I would leave those up the experienced keepers (I am not trying to call you inexperienced!) Rainbowfish are very colorful and would make a grand addition to any tank. Those, too, need an aged, stable tank. Mollies need brackish water to live healthy lives (1 Tablespoon of Aquarium Salt per 5 gallons of water) so a brackish tank would be needed. If you have them, I would invest in a school of Glofish (Registered Trademark). They are very active and colorful fish, and do great in a new tank.

MissSmish said:

Checker Barbs
Borneo Suckers
Glass Catfish

Borneo suckers or hillstream loaches are a somewhat high maintenance fish. They require lower temperatures, higher flow, high oxygenation and an established tank. Have you read up on them?

I don't think your tank is big enough for any rainbows. When it come to schooling fish I usually stick to one to two different kinds per tank. A good sized school of neon tertas would look nice. A dwarf gourami would also be a good choice. A school of emerald green corys maybe?

100 liters = 26.4172052 US gallons
Ok, so for a tank that is just over 26g, that puts it in perspective.
I would not suggest any Gouramis unless they are Dwarf. Honey Gourami or other Dwarf species.
Dwarf Rainbows could work. My Threadfin Rainbows have been great, but I have a lot of plants, so they might be more nervous in an open tank.

I used to love having a school of Glowlight Tetras to contrast with my Neons or Cardinals. Neons do tend to be easier. Cardinals like warmer water than most other fish.

I would not suggest Pygmy Cories. Unless you have lots of plants they are very tiny and more fragile than larger Cories. I would look at Peppered or Bronze Cories. Both are very hardy. Emerald Greens are way too big, they aren't Cories, but are Brochis and get 4"

If you get a couple of male Platies you won't have to worry about babies. Same with Guppies, stick with a couple of boys till you decide if you want multiple tanks. Guppies can overstock your tank fast.

I would plan 1 focal school of fish, then plan around them to get compatible tank mates. Not all community fish are as peaceful in small tanks. Mollies should be in 30g or larger IMHO. They can get nasty in too small of a tank and I consider them somewhat semi-aggressive. Balloon Belly Mollies are ok. Again, get boys unless you are ready to deal with babies.

If you want Cories, consider a sand bottom. NOT live sand. Pool Filter Sand or Black Diamond Blasting Sand or CaribSea sand. They LOVE to push their noses into the sand.

If you want to try a couple of live plants to start with you could try Java Ferns...super easy and you just tie them to rocks, decor or driftwood.

Good Luck, it's fun setting up a new tank. Avoid Clown Puke gravel if you can. It takes away from the fish IMHO. Natural or black gravel with show off the fish much more.

You can see my tanks in my sig.

Checker Barbs
Borneo Suckers
Glass Catfish

Only a few types of loaches would fit in your tank. NO Clown Loaches !!

Personally I'd skip most of your list and do a large school of a bright Tetra or Rasbora or small Barbs. Look at Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs.
I'd rather have 10 of my focal fish, so they actually swim together and show off then 4 of this and 3 of that...you never see them at their best in tiny groups.

Albino Cories come in albino C. aeneus. They are usually hardy. Try to do a group of at least 5 or 6 if you have room.

Checkered Barbs get 2" so they'd take up a lot of room in your tank fast. If you get a group of them, skip your tetras and other midwater fish.

Skip the Borneo Suckers, they need a river tank and you aren't ready for them.
Glass Cats need frozen food and won't thrive on flake IMO. Also they don't compete well. If you want a group of them, avoid Barbs or any other boisterous fish or they may starve.

Trim your list :) What loaches were you interested in???

Neons are going to be much easier than Cardinals. Cardinals need very soft/acid water and lots of plants usually to do well. Neons have been tank bred for longer and are more forgiving on exact conditions as long as water is clean and params are good.

I've sold fish retail, I know it's exciting, but go slow and pick wisely the first time so you don't kill fish.

Only a few types of loaches would fit in your tank. NO Clown Loaches !!

Personally I'd skip most of your list and do a large school of a bright Tetra or Rasbora or small Barbs. Look at Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs.
I'd rather have 10 of my focal fish, so they actually swim together and show off then 4 of this and 3 of that...you never see them at their best in tiny groups.

Albino Cories come in albino C. aeneus. They are usually hardy. Try to do a group of at least 5 or 6 if you have room.

Checkered Barbs get 2" so they'd take up a lot of room in your tank fast. If you get a group of them, skip your tetras and other midwater fish.

Skip the Borneo Suckers, they need a river tank and you aren't ready for them.
Glass Cats need frozen food and won't thrive on flake IMO. Also they don't compete well. If you want a group of them, avoid Barbs or any other boisterous fish or they may starve.

Trim your list :) What loaches were you interested in???

Neons are going to be much easier than Cardinals. Cardinals need very soft/acid water and lots of plants usually to do well. Neons have been tank bred for longer and are more forgiving on exact conditions as long as water is clean and params are good.

I've sold fish retail, I know it's exciting, but go slow and pick wisely the first time so you don't kill fish.

Thank you! :D

I like the Kulhi Loaches - I was looking at two striped ones and two black ones specifically. Part of my decision has been made for me - housemates platies have just had babies so I'm getting a few of those once they're bigger and my tank is safe for them.

I'm definitely inexperienced, but just to be clear I know I cannot have all of these fish in the one tank - I have no direction I'm aiming for at the moment. The list I gave is simply the fish I like that I have seen. I'm not going out and buying anything and hoping for the best. As I now have Platies going in, I'll be finding what goes well with those and going from there.

The tank will be heavily planted before the fish go in - I haven't put the plants in yet because I only got the tank yesterday and wanted it to run through for a day or so with the water conditioner before I put them in. There's nothing like watching fish swimming in and around plants and rocks, coming in and out of hidey holes IMO :D

Borneo suckers or hillstream loaches are a somewhat high maintenance fish. They require lower temperatures, higher flow, high oxygenation and an established tank. Have you read up on them?

I have since making that post and came to the same conclusion. I was listing generally the fish I like/want - not saying that's what I was going to put into the tank...

MissSmish said:
I have since making that post and came to the same conclusion. I was listing generally the fish I like/want - not saying that's what I was going to put into the tank...

OK just checking. I made the same mistake with these guys. They are soooooo cool but them i got some feedback from people on here and i found out how attention they require

Back
Top Bottom