Stocking Levels in my 190L corner tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I've been slowly stocking my new corner tank -

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95576

and have reached a point where i'm really having to consider what I put in next. My old 35L was well overstocked and I was a victim of all the side effects it caused.

Thankfully so far I've not had any significant nasty algae and don't want to spark one off.

The tank is heavily planted and currently stocked with the following -

3 Cherry Barbs (2M + 1F)
1 Cich Ellioti (Big Daddy)

10 Neon Tetra (My first fish - bless)
5 Black Widow Tetra (nice when they cluster)
10 Silver Tip Tetra (spend all day chasing each other about)

1 Dwarf Tiger Pleco (Never see him)
3 Cori Julii (Replaced my insane Albino Cori)
3 Otocinclus (Quality Addition)

4 Amano Shrimp (Living mostly in the "tree" tops)

The substrate is white sand and most of the colour in the tank is green and the brown of the large tree.

I'd like to add a couple of good shoals of tetra as i'm liking the wave of blue the neons make when shifting about. I've been eyeing up some rummienose and some lemon tetra in my LFS.

Additionally i've only recently started exploring the world of Cichlid's and am really enjoying the two dwarf's i have in my 35L and the Ellioti in the 190L. Recently the LFS has had in some Bolivian & Blue RAMS. Both of which look good but I have been more drawn to the Blue RAMS (Euro) as they are significantly different from the Ellioti.

So my questions -

How many more fish could I be happily fitting into this tank?
- I'm happy to take the Silver Tips out to aid getting larger shoals of Rummies & Lemons.

Would the Blue Rams fit into the current stocking and get on with the larger Cich Ellioti?
- Also how many and what sex?

Can anyone make any other recommendations for stocking to fit into this community sudo amazonian setup?

Best Regards,

John

p.s Yes I will have pictures soon - new camera arrives today.

Hi John, it seems your tank is pretty full now! Rummys are a nice fish and a big school would look nice. I'd definitley not get those unless you remove a school of fish (like the silver tips) that you already have in the tank.

I was thinking when I was reading your stock list, about adding some Pracox rainbows, or some other sort of smaller rainbow. They are both colorful and peaceful and wouldn't bother your current stock list. But... I know not a thing about cichlids, but I'm assuming your Ellioti is a timid species.

German Blue Rams (GBR's) in community tanks is something people are divided on. They are a tough fish to care for, and rather delicate IMO. If it were my tank, I'd consider removing the silver tips and adding some rummynose tetras and see if that appeases your tastes. If it still looks like it could use some color, look into some smaller rainbow species. I like the Praecox rainbows, but there are others out there.

Again, these are just in my opinion. :)

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

The Ellioti is very peaceful but big. Imagine full size bolivian.

I'm more then happy to get rid (take back to the LFS) the silver tip tetra, they don't shoal at all and are just too manic.

If i took back those 10, could I maybe just get a shoal of 10 rummies? or would it be possible to fit some more bioload into the tank?

I really wouldnt mind topping up the Neons with a few cardinals (assuming the shoal together).

Or the Lemon Tetra or dwarf Cichlid idea.....

Working out the new camera now so will have some piccys later tonight.

Best regards,

John

Back
Top Bottom