Stocking list for a 30 gallon...will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a moderately planted, "cube" shaped 30 gallon. It's approximately 20" x 20" x 18". This is my plan. Let me know if it will work or if I should rethink. Thanks so much! :)

Bottom of aquarium:
6-8 panda or pygmy cories
1 SAE (already in tank)
30 or so ghost shrimp and maybe some cherries (already have several ghost shrimp)

Mid Aquarium:
6-8 long fin and regular white cloud minnows (already have a few)

Top of Aquarium:
8 marble hatchetfish

I thought that I might also add a betta, but I'm concerned about whether or not he'll get along with everyone. Any other suggestions for a compatible centerpiece fish?

Opinions and experiences GREATLY appreciated.

:thanks:

Anyone? Also forgot to mention that I have a homemade canister filter with ceramic rings, sponges, and filter floss AND a HOB with ceramic rings and regular filter media (minus the carbon which I discarded). The aquarium has been up and running with no problems since September.

My main concern is whether or not the hatchets will be happy with so little space at the top (due to the cube design). I plan to get a few floating plants for them, and I can adjust the flow to their liking...right now there's quite a bit of current up there.

It's very hard to find fish that are top dwellers, and I do LOVE marble hatchets. If the hatchets won't work, are guppies an option?

I would not consider a betta for this tank due to your other species. You might consider something like a dwarf gourami but do remember that the footprint of this tank isn't going to be as good because of the cube shape.

I've never had hatchets so cannot respond to that question.

Hatchet, are leapers....so you need a tight lid on it at all times. They are not difficult to have.....most hatchets do not die of sickness, but usually they are found on the floor!

Thanks, all. My LFS got in the long finned white clouds today so Happy Valentine's Day to me!! lol I told my hubby he's buying me fish instead of flowers or chocolate. :) I'll probably have to hold off on the others because the cories aren't in stock now. :(

I love my white clouds but I've been told by the very experienced person I purchase most of my fish from that they can be nippy with smaller species. Mine actually school with my rummynose tetras.

I love my white clouds but I've been told by the very experienced person I purchase most of my fish from that they can be nippy with smaller species. Mine actually school with my rummynose tetras.

Lynda, the girl at my lfs said she had to take her long finned white clouds back because they were bothering her cardinal tetras. :nono:

And now I find myself considering endlers for the top of the tank (at least until I get my smaller tank set-up if it doesn't work out). I really hope the white clouds don't bother them too much. I checked the compatibility, and it SHOULD work, but I know the compatibility chart isn't exactly the gospel when it comes to individual fishy personalities. :rolleyes:

Even among fishkeepers who are keeping the exact species, you'll get opposing opinions sometimes. But I guess that's why they call them opinions. ;)

Jill said:
Lynda, the girl at my lfs said she had to take her long finned white clouds back because they were bothering her cardinal tetras. :nono:

And now I find myself considering endlers for the top of the tank (at least until I get my smaller tank set-up if it doesn't work out). I really hope the white clouds don't bother them too much. I checked the compatibility, and it SHOULD work, but I know the compatibility chart isn't exactly the gospel when it comes to individual fishy personalities. :rolleyes:

I have a TON of Endlers, and they definitely go all over the tank. Only at feeding time do they go to the top. So if you're looking for fish that stay only at the top, Endlers probably are not the best. Mine are more efficient at finding sinking foods than my cories, actualy.
I also find they hold their own really well, especially the females. I would be surprised WCMMs would harass them without being harassed back!

I have a TON of Endlers, and they definitely go all over the tank. Only at feeding time do they go to the top. So if you're looking for fish that stay only at the top, Endlers probably are not the best. Mine are more efficient at finding sinking foods than my cories, actualy.
I also find they hold their own really well, especially the females. I would be surprised WCMMs would harass them without being harassed back!

Thanks for the info! Good to know they can hold their own. I've only ever seen them in the tiny shrimp tanks at my LFS so it's hard to tell how they would behave in a larger tank. They are GORGEOUS little fish. Decisions, decisions....lol.

So the LFS got in the marble hatchets today. I think I'll give them a try for the top. I know I need a tight lid which isn't a problem....but any suggestions as to what to do when I do my weekly water changes? I'd hate to see any of them end up on the floor! :(

They also got in some pygmy cories. I think I prefer the look of the pandas. If I get a few pygmys now....will they school with pandas if I pick up some pandas later?

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom