Stocking My 100 litre tall aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Can you keep female bettas with male guppies?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tropical_Dude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm new to this and basically I need help aha.
I own a 100Litre tall aquariums freshwater.
I have had it for just over 2 years I currently only have-
2 Rummynosed tetras
3 Male guppies
2 Corys
2 female bristle-nosed catfish

I am basically asking for your help in restocking my aquarium, I love the idea of shrimp but I don't have live plants and I'm don't keen on the idea of them so I weren't sure if it would be possible to have shrimp?
Also I need ideas of stocking, hopefully you guys can help.
Thanks in advance Robert.

Can put pictures up on request.:)

I answered "Not sure" since the answer is really "It depends on the betta". Some bettas can be kept with male guppies without issue. Some will attack and kill them as soon as they see them. Others will live peacefully with the guppies for quite some time before snapping and deciding that guppy tails are tasty snacks. On the whole, I've found female bettas to be the most unpredictable and most likely to do the "peaceful for a while then snap" scenario. Male bettas USUALLY will show you very quickly if they will or will not tolerate the guppies.

Things that help:
1) Try to pick a mellow betta.
2) Bettas that have been kept in community setups for most of their life are more likely to be tolerant.
3) Add the betta last to the tank.
4) Keep the betta in a floating net or breeder box for a few days before releasing into the tank so it can inspect its future tank mates without being able to attack.
5) Watch vigilantly and have a backup plan in case any issues come up.

You could do a school of harlequins and some cherry barbs and some other fishes you like

Stocking wise, the first thing I'd do is top off your schools if you intend to keep them. Aim for at least 6+ of the cories and rummies. After that, you have space for either a school of another small-ish fish, or a centerpiece fish like an angel or dwarf gourami. If you go the gourami route, watch them carefully with the guppies, as they can be just as unpredictable as bettas around them. They should be fine if introduced properly, but due to fish personalities it's impossible to say for sure.

Yeah if you are keeping the schooling fish you definitely want to upgrade their schools before adding more schools

Thanks guys! But I would really like to work something around with what I already have in the aquarium. I know the rummys school should be bigger, but I once added 2 more to start off and we'll the original two chased them and started nipping there tails, they never lasted 3 days max. So I'm really stuck.
Thanks Robert.

Back
Top Bottom