Stocking my 20 G/Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman87

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I speed up the cycling process in my 20 Gallon, should I put it in direct sunlight to grow algae,add plants? Im just bored at staring at an empty 20 Gallon tank.
Lastly what should I put in it, I'm fairly new to this but I've had a Betta in my 5G for 2 months so I'm not completely new. My brother wants something pretty unique but I don't want something I have to give special care to. THANK YOU!!!

You can get a really hardy fish like a Molly or danio do speed up the cycling process. As for stocking...you could do German blue rams, killifish, or gobies. They are a little different that don't need to much attention.

I got a Molly I'm not sure if it's a she or a he but here it is.

image-426520666.jpg

Could someone identify gender please? Thank you guys for the ideas! Just to let you know when I put him in I floated him in the bag and every 10 minutes I added 3-5 spoonfuls of my tank water so he wouldn't get shocked and he could acclimate to my waters levels. I think I did pretty good myself ?.

You will need at least 10 danios for a 20 gallon. I used 9 danios and 3 glo fish with a filter from a established tank for my 29 gallon a few years ago worked fine too. In my experience all the mollies I've cycled with have either came down with disease or death, so I would never recomend a molly unless u have been running a near complete fishless cycle.

Bix22- I can try but he's so darn jumpy.
DeathClawRowe1- I think im just gonna keep him and see how it goes.
Thank you guys for your responses!

Bix22- I can try but he's so darn jumpy.
DeathClawRowe1- I think im just gonna keep him and see how it goes.
Thank you guys for your responses!

Sounds good, what you could do too is when u do a water change in a few weeks try to get already established aquarium water and then like a week after changing water with prestablished water use RO water. I did that for most of my SW and one of my FW and they established in a week or two. But they were nano reefs so in a 29 gallon it may take you 4-6 weeks so don't think it's not cycling.

What does RO stand for and I have an established 5 gallon that I'm using the water from. I also took a fake plant from my 5 G and put it in my 20 G. And Bix22 I got a better picture.

image-3214031039.jpg

I couldn't help the glare sorry about that.

RO is reverse osmosis water, its basically a purification system that takes all chemicals and nutrients out of the water making it aquarium safe. It is basically the purest form of water for fish tanks with a ph of about 6.5 to 7.5. This also allows you to add your own nutrients to your water if you want. Generally you can buy RO from any LFS (local fish store) for around 3-7 $ for every 10 gallons. I usually pay 1 doller for every 5 gallons at my LFS but petco sells 5 gallons for 7.99

Back
Top Bottom