Stocking my 60Gal Planted, Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supradupafast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so my 60Gal is at the end of it's Fishless Cycling. Now is the time to start thinking about what I will be stocking it with.
It is somewhat heavily planted with Low Light plants (Doing very well) and I have gravel as substrate. Temp is kept at 77-78 by a 200W stealth.
I am using a Eheim Canister Ecco 2236 & HOB Penguin 150B (Will be replacing with a AquaClear 70 once tank has established).
Also using CoraLife Fresh Aquatic 2x65w (not that it matters).
I Would like staying in the Tropical FW set-up

So, for stocking... I was thinking to start with;

12 Zebra Danios (I love watching them play Tag, and they occupy the top of the tank)

I am not sure what else I want in there.. Since I have no experience with other fish, I'm not sure what will go with the planted Tanks.
I am reading about Rams, Gouramis, Cory...
This is why I am asking advice, As I do not know where to launch myself.. I like any fish that don't just stand around...

Corys are always a good one, but they prefer the tank to be well established, so I'd wait for a bit.

The danios would work out, so would harliquin rasboras, various tetras etc. It really depends on what you're wanting to see.

I'd stay away from rams until the tank is really going well. They aren't very hardy, we've been having a heck of a time keeping them alive. An alternative to rams (if you are meaning the german blues, electric blues and golds) would be the bolivian rams. Not as beautiful IMO, but very hardy and would also work well with danios, tetras etc.

Yeah, I was thinking about starting with 12 Danios for maybe a few weeks, then add some Bolivian Rams slowly.. I'd like having maybe 4-5 and Tetras.

I've researched Rainbowfish.

So far, I'm thinking:

9 Zebra Danios
5 Red Rainbowfish
12 or so neon Tetras
8 Whiteclouds

All seem to be in the same Temp Range. +- 75

Would it be a problem adding some Wood/Bamboo Shrimps (Some call them "Fan Shrimps") ?
I have 4 in my established 10g and I really appreciate them.

depends on the size you want to end up with. i haven't had any yet so i cant really recommend any particular one on care level but i always fancied the Pseudomugil rainbows like furcata and gertrudea. if you're looking for a larger kind of show fish a couple of boesemani or praecox would do nicely.

Bamboo shrimp will work fine. Just make sure they have a place to purch that's in the water flow and that the tank is well established as well. Our's sit on a log, "fan" out and feed all the time. If there isn't enough things floating in the water they will also pluck from the gravel.

Furcata rainbows aka forktails are some great little fish. We have 2 males and 5 females in our 29. They don't get very big, as a matter of fact our black neon tetras are about the same size.

Yeah,
My Bamboo in my 10g do the same.. Fan all day long on a Driftwood.

From my list, I seem to have alot of "Upper tank level" fish:
Danios, Whiteclouds.
Red Rainbows from reading are Mid to Upper level.
I would need some small fish for lower levels (If that even exists) ?
I'm not sure where my tetras stand?

Hmm.. So this maybe it.. My list of fish to stock my 60g

9 Zebra Danios
5 Red Rainbowfish
12 or so neon Tetras
8 Whiteclouds
4 Bamboo shrimps

depends on the size you want to end up with. i haven't had any yet so i cant really recommend any particular one on care level but i always fancied the Pseudomugil rainbows like furcata and gertrudea. if you're looking for a larger kind of show fish a couple of boesemani or praecox would do nicely.

Reading about Pseudomugil rainbows
They are hard to maintain & aggressive. Not sure they are what I am looking for. They are sharp looking though...

Bamboo shrimp will work fine. Just make sure they have a place to purch that's in the water flow and that the tank is well established as well. Our's sit on a log, "fan" out and feed all the time. If there isn't enough things floating in the water they will also pluck from the gravel.

Furcata rainbows aka forktails are some great little fish. We have 2 males and 5 females in our 29. They don't get very big, as a matter of fact our black neon tetras are about the same size.

I'm trying to read up on Furcata rainbows aka forktails but can't find anything about their temper and requirements. Are they a rare find?

There would also be the option of Peppered Cory Cat for the bottom portion of my tank.

9 Zebra Danios
5 Red Rainbowfish
10 or so Black neon Tetras
8 Whiteclouds
5 Peppered Cory Cat or Swartz's Cory Cat
4 Bamboo Shrimps

Keep in mind that the tank is somewhat heavily planted with filtration from a Eheim 2236 Canister (80gal Rated) & will be running a AquaClear 70 or 110 as HOB. I should be at the limit of the 60gal.
Weekly 30-40% PWC :)

Back
Top Bottom