Stocking options???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have a 6 gallon long tank. With Argentine Sword, Java Fern, and some Kyoto scattered. What, if anything, could I stock this with besides guppies and a betta? Or are those my only options? Current inhabitants are 2 ghost shrimp. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-756087891.jpg
    image-756087891.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 96
bruinsbro1997 said:
You could do microfish, ex. ember tetras, sparkling gouramis, chilli rasbora, pygmy cories, small killies, or shellies species tank.

How many cory's?

I would do sparkling gouramis and pygmy cories if I had the tank, it's a good shape for them. There are also a lot of other options, you could some african dwarf frogs, bumblebee gobies (brackish), dwarf puffers (brackish), freshwater flounder (actually brackish), etc

TankMan said:
Okay so I have a 6 gallon long tank. With Argentine Sword, Java Fern, and some Kyoto scattered. What, if anything, could I stock this with besides guppies and a betta? Or are those my only options? Current inhabitants are 2 ghost shrimp. Thanks!!

Does it have to be fish??? I'd do some shrimp in there! There are some pretty sweet Shrimp out there that would be awesome in that tank! Maybe, done a little research on them, CPOs... Not sure but may work! They'd be pretty sweet in there too!

Does it have to be fish??? I'd do some shrimp in there! There are some pretty sweet Shrimp out there that would be awesome in that tank! Maybe, done a little research on them, CPOs... Not sure but may work! They'd be pretty sweet in there too!

good point! maybe i could put some java moss and add some fun shrimp, and a snail. any other good shrimp? ghosts are getting boring, as i have them in other tanks.

I'd really look into the CPOs as well! They're orange, dwarf crayfish! Some shrimp: tigers, cherry, bee, crystal red. The list goes on and on! Look at www.planetinverts.com they have pretty good info on there!

thanks! will do! =). still open for fish options as well; however, the shrimp idea is growing on me........

TankMan said:
thanks! will do! =). still open for fish options as well; however, the shrimp idea is growing on me........

It's grown on me too! So far I have planned: 2.5g with red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp, a 1.5 gallon with mandarin shrimp, and a 10 gallon with bee shrimp:). You'll get the invert fever soon, trust me! Also endlers would be a good fish! I have some and they're pretty and very cool!

It's grown on me too! So far I have planned: 2.5g with red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp, a 1.5 gallon with mandarin shrimp, and a 10 gallon with bee shrimp:). You'll get the invert fever soon, trust me! Also endlers would be a good fish! I have some and they're pretty and very cool!

PICS PLEASEEEE!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Of which stuff? I only have the endlers currently but I'm ordering the red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp within te next 2 weeks when the plants I ordered come in! I'll probably order the mandarin shrimp at that time too! I've planned to get the 10 gallon bee in a few months but I'll be collecting stuff for it in the mean time! I love shrimp!

Of which stuff? I only have the endlers currently but I'm ordering the red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp within te next 2 weeks when the plants I ordered come in! I'll probably order the mandarin shrimp at that time too! I've planned to get the 10 gallon bee in a few months but I'll be collecting stuff for it in the mean time! I love shrimp!

opps. I thought you had them in the tank already :ermm: cant wait to see them!

Sadly no, but when I do get them I'll be sure to show! I do have 6 ghost shrimp though;). But here are a few pics of my endlers(y) sorry they're not good, endlers are FAST!

Sadly no, but when I do get them I'll be sure to show! I do have 6 ghost shrimp though;). But here are a few pics of my endlers(y) sorry they're not good, endlers are FAST!

very pretty =) and yes they are quite fast. i spend many minutes attempting to get DECENT shots on my fish. :banghead:

I don't think the tank is big enough for guppies, nor will it's stock filtration be able to keep up with their bio-load, but it would be great for some nano fish. I have a 6.6 gal bookshelf tank with hara jardoni (aka mini moth catfish or asian stone catfish). I find these are a better mini catfish for smaller tanks than the pygmy cories. Celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, mosquito aka chili rasbora, scarlet badis, or sparkling gouramis would all be great in there. Dwarf crays like dwarf patz (1 pair) and cambarellus shufeldtii (2 pair) would do well in there also. You could do a couple nerite snails to keep it free of algae. Neocaridina shrimp would be great options as well such as red cherry, blueberry, blue pearl, or sunkist. I would pay close attention to temperature requirements when stocking. Some of the above mentioned fish need cooler waters and some warmer, so make sure you pick species that are compatible with eachother.

siva said:
I don't think the tank is big enough for guppies, nor will it's stock filtration be able to keep up with their bio-load, but it would be great for some nano fish. I have a 6.6 gal bookshelf tank with hara jardoni (aka mini moth catfish or asian stone catfish). I find these are a better mini catfish for smaller tanks than the pygmy cories. Celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, mosquito aka chili rasbora, scarlet badis, or sparkling gouramis would all be great in there. Dwarf crays like dwarf patz (1 pair) and cambarellus shufeldtii (2 pair) would do well in there also. You could do a couple nerite snails to keep it free of algae. Neocaridina shrimp would be great options as well such as red cherry, blueberry, blue pearl, or sunkist. I would pay close attention to temperature requirements when stocking. Some of the above mentioned fish need cooler waters and some warmer, so make sure you pick species that are compatible with eachother.

Beautiful response. Thank you!

How large does the Asian stone catfish get? And can it live with shrimp in the tank as well?

My pleasure! They are tiny. Body mass smaller than any of the pygmy cories. About 1" long. I actually don't keep mine with shrimp but their mouths are very small, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom