Stocking plan for 38g tank...comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I am getting closer to setting up my 38g (not close enough though ), but I have already planned my stocking and just wanted to get some feedback.

The tank is 36" long, 12" wide...and about 18 inches high I think (haven't measured it lately). Its basically the same height and width as a 29g, except 6 inches longer.

Anyways, its going to be heavily planted, high light, pressurized CO2, with a Rena XP2 cannister and Stealth heater.

My stocking plan is:
8 Pseudomugil furcatus (Furcata rainbows)
8 Threadfin rainbows
10 Corydoras habrosus
2-3 Parotocinclus jumbo (Pitbull plecos, LDA25)
pair of German Rams and/or
trio of Apistos caucatoides

So, what do you all think? Will it work, or is it overstocked? It sounds like alot to me, but I don't think it is. :)

I wanted some sort of centerpiece fish and had thought about some Sparkling gouramis, but I am not sure about them. Since the rainbows will most likely be middle-surface dwellers, I think I'll just go with the dwarf cichlids (if having both is ok...or just one type if its not ok).

Any comments, concerns, changes or feedback?

BTW, both Rainbows get a max of 2 inches...so they aren't the big ones. :)

Thanks!

It should be an awesome tank. I really like your species choices. You could lose a few of the corys and replace them with kuhli loaches. I like kuhlis in heavily planted tanks because they scavenge in places that other fish can't get into.

Thanks! I hope its awesome. :) I've been tweaking the list for awhile. I was afraid it would be overstocked because typed out, it looks like alot. But really, thats about how many (minus probably a few) that are in my 29g planted. I just hope I can find all of the fish when I'm ready to purchase them.

My reasoning for the stock is that I'm going for a kind of "smaller" fish tank. All of those are some of the smaller fish for their types (smaller rainbows, cories, plecs, cichlids). I'll definitely consider the loaches though, since they are kind of small and a bit different from other loaches.

Do you think having both the Apistos and the Rams would be a problem? I know several members here keep them together, but usually its in a larger tank...so I just wondered if there would be issues in a 3ft tank.

oh very nice - i love the pseudomigil species, i plan on getting some for my 50gal. highly approve. but it is heavily stocked, a 38gal is going to look very crowded. if i were you, i would add them in order of want, and leave out a species if necessary.

I don't think it will look crowded. The cories and plecos are bottom feeders, so all of them won't be seen all the time. Plus the cories only get 1 inch, so they are really small. The Rams and Apistos only get about 2-3 inches, so they won't look too big. And the rainbows are only 2 inches, and if I get 8 of each type, they'll occupy the top and middle of the tank. Its 3 foot....so its not that small.

I have about this many fish in my 29g, which is not as long as this tank and it only looks a little crowded.

I'm going to add the Furcatas first and if it looks like it would be crowded with Threadfins, I may leave them out, but I'm not sure yet. I really want both types. :)

Back
Top Bottom