Stocking Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi- I have a fairly new 37 gallon. I have done a fish in cycle with 4 black neon tetras, and about 3 weeks later with 0 ammonia and nitrites I will be adding 4 more black neons. Next will come either julii or pepper corydoras (7), and 6 marbled hatchetfish. However, I am unsure of the other fish. I originally wanted to do have some glass cats or rainbowfish as a centerpiece shoal, but decided against them because I want a sort of south american biotope. I then considered apistogrammas, but decided I wanted something that would range from top to bottom, as my other fish are layered. Pearl gouramis suit the purpose, but are asian and a pair would breed- something I do not want at this point. I then found that I could keep an angelfish, but I wouldn't be able to get small fish. I also originally planned on a school of cardinals, but angelfish apparently make snacks of them. What I want is a fish or two that are intelligent enough to maybe recognize me and come to the glass when I feed them. But I also want another shoal of small tetras, either cardinals or silvertip. I am really looking for opinions on compatibility, your personal preference, and experience. Thanks in advance!

There's never a 100% guarantee, but angels and cardinals are typically fine. I've had an angel eat rummynose tetra before, but that's because I was traveling a lot at the time and the tank wasn't getting regular enough feedings. Cardinals are generally a safe bet and lots of people keep them together.

A pair of angelfish would be fine in your tank. You can start with 6 or so juveniles and wait for a pair to form (at which point you rehome the others), or sometimes you can find a pair to buy.

I was planning on single, is a pair better? If so I will plan that.... I may have to try an online site for some already paired, theres no fish clubs here and the lfs wont take them back. Would neons be good? A bettet question might be: How big does the mouth get?

Back
Top Bottom