stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running for a few months now. I haven't fully stocked it yet because I was in the process of selling my house and moving and didn't have time to set up a quarantine tank so I decided to wait till after the move. I am now ready to finish stocking it. Right now it has 1 dojo loach, 1 rainbow shark, and 6 congo tetras. I am planning on adding 1 featherfin catfish, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 more dojo loach, and 4 gouramis. What order should I add them and how many would it be safe for me to add at a time? I am going to set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank to house any new additions in for 30 days before putting them in the main tank, I just want to make sure that I don't add too much to the bioload at one time. The fish that are in there are quite a bit larger than when I got them since they've been in there a while and the new ones will be small so I was hoping that maybe I could add them in 1 or 2 groups.

If it were me...

I'd add in two groups just to lessen any nutrient impact. Shouldn't really matter order wise as far as aggression with what you are stocking. What type of gourami? Sounds like a cool set up.

I am planning on having 1 male and 1 female pearl gourami plus a female giant, aka banded, gourami and a female gold gourami.

I'd skip the fasciata. I have a feeling that it will be too boisterous for the pearls. Could totally be wrong though. lol

We need pics of this tank when stocked! :)

I just saw a site that said it is hard to find female gouramis but I've also read that if you keep multiple males together they will gang up on the other fish. It was suggested to keep 1 male with 3 females. Is that true or is it ok to keep 4 male gouramis in the same tank, with no females?

I just saw a site that said it is hard to find female gouramis but I've also read that if you keep multiple males together they will gang up on the other fish. It was suggested to keep 1 male with 3 females. Is that true or is it ok to keep 4 male gouramis in the same tank, with no females?

I would not keep 4 males in a 55. The pearls are pretty passive and peaceful fish though. Females aren't hard to get as much as they are not often ordered because they are duller and don't sell as readily. That is especially true of the colisa lalia. If you stuck to the pearls, you should be able to do 2M/3-4F. Mixing the species gets dicier. The trichopterus (Blue, gold, whatever) are best housed in the 1:3 ratio IME.

Back
Top Bottom