Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwilson24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone

Long time member, but it has been a long while since I have been on. I have had many tanks in the past, lightly planted, Oscar tank, community tank, and dwarf puffers (obviously not all in one tank).

Currently, I have a 90 gallon bowfront corner tank with a Fluval FX4 for filtration. I have had the tank up and running for quite some time, the filter is fairly new (but I transferred media, etc from the old Fluval filters I had).

My question is, I think it is fairly lightly stocked, and I am wondering what I can add.

Current stocking is:

- 2 parrot cichlids
- 1 angelfish (its partner died a few years back)
- 1 gold gourami
- 4 black neon tetras (the Parrot Cichlid has been in the tank as long as the tetras and has left them alone)
- 1 mystery snail

It is a bit of an odd stocking I feel, but it has worked thus far.

I want to add some Nerite snails, as well as some Panda Corys (not sure if these will be bothered by the parrot).

I would also like to add some red tail black sharks, as I have had them in a past tank, but not sure if they would be great with angel fish. I have heard stories of them getting along and not.

All help is appreciated :)
Thanks

Aqadvisor is not what this guy needs.

It's for guidlines and if he thinks something could go wrong aqadvisor will TEll you it's going to go wrong Even if it might not. +1 on gettin more neons. I think panda cories will stay out of the parrots way should be fine there. How big is your gourami And angel? what sex is your angel and you gourami?

Aqadvisor is not what this guy needs.

It's for guidlines and if he thinks something could go wrong aqadvisor will TEll you it's going to go wrong Even if it might not. +1 on gettin more neons. I think panda cories will stay out of the parrots way should be fine there. How big is your gourami And angel? what sex is your angel and you gourami?

I think it's a good thing to know the potential issues you could run into. Better to be prepared and aware of the situations you could face.
Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I think it's an informational tool that can be utilized for stocking a tank- but never suggested they should 100% follow the advice. Just said check it out.
PS- I love getting advice from folks on here. But it never hurts to gather info from multiple sources. (y)

Panda corys will not work long term with the parrots. They are a smaller species that will be picked on/eaten and they actually thrive in colder water than most common aquarium species. The red tail shark would most likely be fine with the parrots, but both fish can be rather moody so it is more of a case by case basis thing. The angel will not get along well with the red tail sharks since they are pretty nippy and will go after the angel's fins. I would advise against adding anything to your tank. You are pretty much capped out with the two parrots. I've seen them get to the size of dinner plates and they can have a nasty disposition.

Also welcome back to AA! Things have changed... Alot.

Changed in a good way?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am not actually sure the sex of the gourami or angel. I do know the one parrot is female, as she tends to lay eggs (that we have to remove as they do not get fertilized).

Appreciate the help :)

Well yeah it's good for the mist part it kinda sad how the saltwate people kinda faded out it's mostly freshwater threads now :( but, now that we have all these new people there is so much knowledge here now!

Back
Top Bottom