Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am planning on bringing back my 4 Fancy Male Guppies to my LFS because they don't school and everything else in my tank does and it kill my entire effect. Since I now have some room in the tank, I think I can stock at little. Two questions:

1) I am looking to get 6 of a small scavenger type fish to keep the tank clean, suggestions? Otos?

2) Could I also get one more school of 6 tetra type tiny fish, or is that pushing it? Consider the Royal pleco to only grow to 6" (he is 3.5" now), because at that point I will be trading him in for a smaller growing pleco species.

Thanks vets!

lyquidphyre said:
Cories are known to be schooling fish, you could get a smaller species of cory cat *nod*

Sounds good, what am I going to find at your average fish store? Will it just be labeled "cory cat"?

How do you feel about 6 more schooling fish too, overkill?

You could get 6 peppered (C. paleatus) or julii cories, they are usually pretty common.
After adding the cories you're pretty much stocked even though you think it doesn't look like it. You could probably get a small non-schooling fish though. You want it to be an all schooling fish tank (besides the pleco), I'm guessing?

Pygmy corys and panda corys are really nice cories, there are actually many different species of corys. Though they are all generally similar looking there are many different colorations and patterns (Also the pygmy corys stay smaller).

How big do the different types of cories get? I think I will stick with 6 of them and that's it, but I still don't want anything in my tank getting bigger than 2 inches if possible

Got 5 bronze cory cats, wanted six but they only had 5 this time. I'll get the 6th soon. Not the prettiest fish in the world, but if they do their job they are okay with me.

RoK said:
There weren't any cories you actually liked?

No, they all kind of reminded me of fat rats. Maybe the pandas were the best looking, but they were also 11.99 and they only had one. Like I said though, I really don't care as long as they make the rest of the tank look pretty. I'll let my other fish be useless and pretty, like my lazy Royal Pleco :D

Well, I'm sure there has to be a bottom dweller that you like that would be fine in your tank.

RoK said:
Well, I'm sure there has to be a bottom dweller that you like that would be fine in your tank.

I heard cories are hard little workers, so it sounds like what I'm looking for. I guess they have a certain attraction to the way they scuttle about, but it is kind of rat like too.

What I am going to get though is two of those stingray looking butterfly plecos once I have to trade in my Royal.

Back
Top Bottom