Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Stocking questions for a 55g tank

over the past few weeks I have been setting up a 55gallon tank. I have tested the water everyday for the past few days and it has been perfect so I started slowly moving over fish from my smaller tanks. I tested the water today after adding the last group of fish last night and it is still looking great so I was planning on adding new fish over the next week. It is a fully planted tank as well. I was curious what else may go well in the tank because I definitely do not want to overstock. I have had aquariums for years but never anything this big.

Right now I have 1 turquoise female platy, 1 male dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, 2 albino corydoras, 3 tiger snails, and 1 platydoras catfish. I did have a male platy but he was creating too many babies so I donated him and the babies to my local pet store.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im certainly no expert but it might be a good idea to get more Cory cats because they generally prefer to be in larger groups of around 6. Another possible addition to your tank might be a species of dwarf cichlid, personally I've only kept rams but they definitely make colourful and interesting additions to tanks. Good luck

Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could get more of what you have and add more fish. What are you into?

As Reef said, up the number of Cory's to at least 6. It couldn't hurt to add more Tetras as well.

The big problem I see with your set up is the Rafael catfish. It will eventually eat your neons and your Cory cats.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

Hi Again,

Yeah King is definitely right about the Raphael (sorry didn't recognise the Latin name) My uncle used to have some but they where with large SA cichlids and you would likely have trouble with smaller fish in the future as well as territory issues with the Cory's. If you have already bought the Raphael then I would recommend returning him and purchasing more Cory's maybe a group of even 10 or more

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: Stocking questions for a 55g tank

I would get a few more female platies, as your single girl will be unhappy without company. Just be very careful sexing them if you don't want fry.

I also agree that the corydoras are best in groups, the larger the better. They are also much more fun to watch in huge groups, as they swarm around and are extremely social and playful. I love the panda cories myself, because the marks around their eyes do make them look like playful little pandas or raccoons.

The larger the group of neons, the more brilliant the tank will look. There are tools on site, I think, that can help you ensure you are not overstocking your tank.
fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you everyone for the responses. Will dwarf cichlids do okay in a community tank with platy's and neons?

I actually ended up getting a few fish last night. I am now at:

3 female platy's
1 (hopefully 2 soon, male and female. I have the male, need female) dwarf gourami
6 albino cory's
10 neon tetras
and of course my big guy the platycordas (or as you all said Raphael). Funny story with this guy actually, my friend who is starting into aquatics was at petco purchasing some live plants and when she got home there was a little guy in the bag too that she did not buy. So of course she called me freaking out and I could barely see him and since he was so tiny I assumed he was an Oto catfish and since she only had a 5 gallon for a betta, I took him. He was extremely tiny when I placed him in the 20g and he immediately went into hiding and I only saw him when feeding. Now that hes in the 55g and much happier I can actually identify him and know he is the Raphael catfish. So my friend with a 75g is going to take him soon.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:22 AM   #7

Moving the Raphael on is definitely the best option, 6 corys is a much better number and they should be much happier. If you want in a tank that size you could even do a group of 3 to 4 gourami's even all males if you didn't want to deal with fry down the track. IMO with tetras the more you have the better the shoal looks but its all down to your preference.

Good luck

Tags
question, questions, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com