Stocking Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I've got my 55ga up and running

I have

10-Zebra Danios
5-GlowLight tetras

I want to eventually have

10-Zebra Danios
10-Glowlight tetras
8-Peppered Cory Cats
4-AngelFish
4-Gouramis (powder blue dwarfs)
1-Sailfin Pleco

Now I bought the last 2 Zebra Danios Friday as well as 4 Glowlights.

Now I want to go to the lfs tomorrow and finish the group of glowlights.

But after that, next tuesday (the 9th, and my Birthday) I want to put the angels in my tank.

Then about 2 weeks later put the Gouramis in, 3-4 weeks later get the Cory Cats, then get the pleco in another 2 weeks after. So that would mean I am done stocking the tank on September 27th. Is this going to fast? I do 20-25% water changes on Sundays, and will do more if necessary.

The best way to tell if you are stocking too fast is to test your water. Is the tank fully cycled right now?

Each time you add new fish you want to wait a couple of days and test your water. If the tank is still showing no ammonia and no nitrite and your nitrate levels are good then it is safe to add more fish.

f you have ammonia or nitrite that means the newly added fish are causing a mini cycle and you have to wait a bit for the bacteria to catch up with the new bio load.

To me it looks like you're overstocking alot...JMO. Thats 116" of fish when it should be 55" of fish. Sailfin plecos get 18" so you may want reconsider getting one. HTH

I will reconsider the Sail Fin But I am determinded to stand firm on the other Fish, I already Have the 10 ZDS and GLTS and there is lots of room for the Gouramis, angels, and corys

PS: Not trying to seem like an ass.

I would also drop the gouramis or angel fish from your list.. water quality is a must for angels so they would be first to be exclueded in my mind. the stress from crowding fish will result in more illness and death in your fish and just makes the hobby more difficult to enjoy.. Im not trying to seem like a pain myself but it is my oppinion that you will have illness problems in the long run with that stocking plan regardless of filtration method. (filtration cant remove stress hormones)
if you go ahead and ignore the overcrouding advise then underfeed them..

why not just reduce the numbers? have 2 angels, 2 gouramis, and 5 corys. then you get all your variety, and your fish will be MUCH happier. remember to consider the adult size of the fish, not just what it looks like now. and you can always add more later! :)

Well I might not get four Gouramis probally just 2 and I begining to think 8 Cories is to much since they like to scrounge the bottom, not much food gets to the bottom of my tank right now as it is. let alone with the Angels I just added today and the 20 schooling fish. The Danios go nuts when it's feeding time.

We have a tendency to slightly overstock our aquariums. We resolve it by having double filters usually 2 Emperor 400's. I personally would go ahead and finish out your stocking of the Glolites and hold off on stocking anymore for the next 30 days. IMO its better sometimes to do it slow when it comes to larger aquariums. I have a 55 g it has - pleco, platinum gourami 1, honey gourami 2, opaline gourami 1, 3 peppered cory, guppies 2, guppy fry 2 wks old about 20 of them. Our 55 g is basically done with stocking we are gonna move the Guppy Fry in another week or so. Good luck. Things are great with our 55 g. Keep up on your water changes and filtration - you'll probably be okay.

Back
Top Bottom