Stocking suggestions for my tropical freshwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cove90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Brand new to both this forum and the hobby of keeping fish..."Budding beginner" is definitely the right way to describe me!

I had a few tanks in my younger years, but nothing too serious. A few of my friends have wonderful set ups and over the passed couple years I have really taken an interest in having my own tank.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Fluval Edge 2 - 12 gallon (46 litre capacity) - Dimensions 43cm x 26cm x 44.8cm high (sorry about cm's...i'm in Australia)

I know it's not the biggest tank out there (far from it), but I needed a tank that was relatively small, and I felt it had a high aesthetic appeal.

The tank is already set up, and I'm going to run it as a Tropical Freshwater tank.

Here's what I've done with the tank:

2ahw0fm.jpg

I have done quite a bit of research and decided to do a fish less cycle. This will also give me time to decide on what fish i'm going to stock my tank with....and then once that's decided i'll spend some time researching the fish and their ideal parameters etc so I'm fully prepared.

So here comes the advice bit...STOCKING SUGGESTIONS - Again...Tropical freshwater...12 gallon/46 litres.

I want a well balanced tank with all levels being catered for (the tank is quite high so would be good for this purpose).

I also obviously want fish that will work well together, including similar preferences in water temp and parameters, aggression levels etc

I have a few set-ups in mind but I suppose I would just love to hear what sort of combinations people can come up with. Bright colours would really pop in my tank and I'd really like a couple different styles of fish (I don't just want a guppy farm or tetra's as far as the eye can see)..I'd prefer to have more of a central fish (or pair/shoal) that is "the star" and then maybe some supporting acts (being some small tetra's and a small clean up crew).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated guys,

Thanks!

You could possibly do a single dwarf gourami as your centerpiece fish and 6 neon tetras. You won't want to get fish that are large, but if you want a centerpiece fish a single dwarf shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Laser said:
You could possibly do a single dwarf gourami as your centerpiece fish and 6 neon tetras. You won't want to get fish that are large, but if you want a centerpiece fish a single dwarf shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Or a Betta as a centerpiece add some ghost or cherry shrimp

I really love dwarf cichlids. I know they would be more work than something like a dwar gourami but I think they would be worth it. Obviously German blue rams would be A: way too cramped (unless I got a single fish on it's lonesome..it which case it probably wouldn't be too happy) and B: difficult for beginners. There is Bolivian rams but same issue with size.

What are everyones thoughts on perhaps a breeding pair of smaller dwarf cichlids such as apistogramma borelli or maybe badis badis? I hear they don't mind small tanks (especially in pairs) and are far more docile than most other cichlids.

I don't have any experience with cichlids, save for angels, and I don't even know how big they get. Your tank looks deceptively large for a 12g, but it might just be the picture. From what I found it looks like they reach 2.5 to 3 inches so a pair of those could be feasible. You may want to add in more hiding places for them and hopefully someone will chime in who is a cichild lover. You might want to try the cichlid forum as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Laser, I just made a thread in the cichlid section to hopefully get the attention of some cichlid lovers.

I tried to make my tank as roomy as possible. Although if I end up finding a suitable dwarf cichlid then that may come back to bite me as I know they like small dark cave-like areas/dense plantation. Although the main ornament in my tank would actually act as a very good cave...with total seclusion from all light...I could always change the lion statues over for some Japanesestyle huts I have..which also provide places to hide.

Good luck, I love what you did with that tank and I think a pair of dwarf cichlids would be entertaining. Time for another tank... If I can just kick out my roomate i can start a fish tank room.

Back
Top Bottom