Stocking suggestions - Nagging Again :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My psycho guppies have murdered all the fish in my tank and I'm now left with an empty 12 gallon. I still can't get my head around the stocking thing and was wondering whether someone could tell me what to put in it lol. I know I can't have many but these are the fish I like

Harlequin Rasboras
Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Black Skirt Tetras
Serpae Tetras
Rummy Nose Tetras
Mollies

I know they are schooling fish and need to be in no more than 5-6 but I can't decide which one's to have or how many schools etc. I was hoping someone could help me with decisions etc haha The tank has been set up for 9 months and the guppies are in a different tank now.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Read more: So Frustrating

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i would go with glow lights tetras. They are small and have an orange kind of colour. If none are available then rummynose are a really good hardy tetra and cardinal are a nice one too, but its really up to you. You could put atleast 9 in there since a UK gallon is different to a US gallon.

I would take black skirts and serpaes off the list. They are pretty rambunctious little guys. You could go with neons, cardinals or the mollies.

Are the guppies still in the tank? What were they doing before, nipping at other fish?

PS - I changed the title of this thread to make it more descriptive.

I thought I was losing my marbles, I could have sworn I didn't put that there haha

No, I took the guppies out. I don't know what they were doing, they seem fine in the day but then I wake up and my fish are either dead or battered and bruised and dying. They were pretty massive guppies though :s

So how many of each would you say? Could I have a few different tetra schools, to make the tank look a bit more interesting?

Most recommend 5+ each for a school of happy tetra, so I'd pick two from your list that you like the most and stick with those.

Not sure if you've seen this tool yet: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

It is meant as a guide and generally pretty good. It will sometimes flag incompatible fish if you try to add them together.

People who don't like it complain that it's too limiting. It does say your tank is at 99% stocking when I added those fish (not sure if I got the tank size right). With proper filtration and more frequent water changes I've heard people stocking their aquarium to 200% using aqadvisor and doing quite well.

I've tried using that loads of times but fail when I try to add my filter and it doesn't exist, maybe i'm just too thick to use it though haha

+1 on the rummynoses and cardinals
+1 on AqAdvisor (as a guideline, they are pretty conservative as was mentioned) - you might want to try a filter similar to your filter if they don't have your specific brand.

Also, if the guppies are no longer in the tank, what is in the tank now? you might need to add some ammonia (pure with no surfactants or detergents) to keep your good bacteria alive and prevent having to cycle your tank again.

On the filter problem using aqadvisor, try selecting "user defined" at the top and give it a rating in gallons similar to the one you're using.

Back
Top Bottom