Stocking Tips for my 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onethousandyen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

New to the site and just want to get an opinion on my current stock.

Fishless cycled the tank for 6 weeks, everything looks great, just did a 25% water change today. pH around 7.5. I've had my fish for a week thus far...

3 balloon mollys
2 marble/ 1 dalmation mollys
2 dwarf gouramis
2 kissing gouramis
3 australian rainbows

I realize the kissing gouramis will grow to as big as 12'', but other then that, is there anything else I can add to my tank? So far everyone is getting along great. I was thinking of getting some African dwarf frogs and maybe a bristlenose pleco, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks so much!!

Just a bit of infor...I am not trying to rain on your parade...The Mollies are brackish water fish if you want to maintain their health. African dwarf frogs are escape artist even with tank completely covered. My sons frogs all escaped out of the small opening of where the filter flows.

The bristlenose is a great choice, I have a few and they love brine shrimp and blood worms. They are fun to watch feeding, they raise their fins to look bigger and try to scare the other fish away from the food.

Mollies are fine in anything from salt water to fresh water. I wouldn't worry about it much.

African dwarf frogs need a shorter tank though. A 55g is a bit tall for them.

Good point about the frogs. I've read that mollies can do fine in freshwater which is why I purchased them but I'll be sure to keep a close eye on them, thanks for the heads up. I think I need some more plants in the back but otherwise I'm happy with everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, everyone! Definitely going to look into getting that pleco this weekend. I think all I need is a few more plants since the tank still feels a bit empty to me. I'd like to get a few more fish but I'm worried about over stocking.
(Whoops, didn't mean to post twice! Sorry!)

Back
Top Bottom