Stocking wish list - feedback/assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
While I was helping the 10 year old learn how to test the water last night we came up with a wish list for stocking our aquarium and i told him I would post it for feed back. (tank is 39 or 40 gallons, plastic plants but will slowly transition to some live)

Currently have (all small sized)

6 Danio Zebra's (danio and glow fish)
3 Platies (2 red wag, 1 Mickey Mouse)

Wish list (added slowly no more than once a week or every 2 weeks or more - depending on how the water tests)

5 Skirt Tetra
8 Neon Tetra
2 Balloon Molly
5 Ghost Catfish
1 Algae Eater (Otocinclus?)

Is this doable? If so what order is the best to add the fish? Full schools at a time or partials?

Is this too much? If so, what should i get rid of from the list? he really wants the Ghost Catfish but I know they are larger fish and may be difficult to keep alive with fewer than 5.

aquarium.jpg

Currently have (all small sized)

6 Danio Zebra's (danio and glow fish)
3 Platies (2 red wag, 1 Mickey Mouse)

Wish list (added slowly no more than once a week or every 2 weeks or more - depending on how the water tests)

5 Skirt Tetra
8 Neon Tetra
2 Balloon Molly
5 Ghost Catfish
1 Algae Eater (Otocinclus?)

I see you reference the fish you have as "small sized". Fish grow up, though. The species you have will stay relatively small, but you should always plan your stock based on the adult size of the fish. :)

That said, most of your species will occupy the same level of the tank, that being the danios, platies, neons, mollys. The school of thought is to try to get fish at the 3 different levels, the top, mid and bottom.

The ghost cats would need a minimum of 10 in their school. You should also have live plants for them. They are very sensitive and might not be a good starter fish.

Otos need to be in groups, so I would not recommend a single one for your tank. If you're just looking for an algae eater, you could get a mystery snail.

Black skirt tetras get really large. If you drop them from your list, you may be able to get most of the other groups, but I don't think all. I would perhaps recommend this for your stock:

danios
platies
neons
mollys
mystery snail

perhaps add 3 yoyo loaches

You have alot of room in you tank for those fish. It is always safe to add them in batches, one school every other week. I would get 7-10 ottos, but add them last so you build up a nice amount of algea and other goodies they can eat. Also you need to mix up the levels like the previous poster said. You have all mid-to-top dwellers. Getting some cory cats or botia/loaches would be a good idea.

6-8 Danio
3-5 platties
5-7 skirt
9-12 neon
2-4 balloon
7-10 ottos
5-8 corys/botias/loaches

Just keep up on the water changes and test the water!!!

I agree with Lynda that the glass cats are delicate, so they can be risky. I have not kept them though, so I cannot fully advise you on a school size ro anything. The skirt tetras do get pretty big because they are tall as well as long, so they take up a lot of space. I would recommend dropping these species from the list for now.
Just a note, otos should be in groups, but you would be fine to just have 3 instead of 1. :)
Balloon mollies are inbred to have that ballooning deformity and IMO, they seem to have shorter lifespans. I would recommend regular mollies instead. Make sure your livebearers stay in the ratio of 1m:2-3f unless you choose to just keep all of one gender or the other.
I definitely recommend corys. They are great, active, peaceful fish.
Instead of the glass cats and skirt tetras, I would recommend x-ray tetras. They are still pretty clear, like the the glass cats, but much easier to care for. Also, they are smaller than the skirt tetras. :)

I dont agree with glass cats minimum school size being 10, but they are more relaxed in higher numbers. They also take weeks to adjust and are sensitive so i wouldnt put them in unless your tank is stable. You also get alot of unhealthy ones bc theyre all wild caught. I wouldnt buy them from petco as at my petco theyre normally unhealthy. Look for big, lively glass cats with a full gut. Ask them to feed them if you can. They should attack the food like a little swarm of sharks if they havent been fed yet. Theyre cute little guys. I wish my defective heater hadnt fried mine.
And i agree with the live plants thing.

Back
Top Bottom