Storing RO water for long. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't have RO unit. I am buying RO water from different city so the more I will buy the more cheaper because of shipping charges.

However, I want to know for how long RO water will stay good? How do you guys store your RO water and for how long it can be used. I don't want to buy those fancy 50+ dollars cans. The LFS told to send me in one can which will be good for RO storage but I need advise from you guys about storing RO for long like suppose five six months. Will it stays good? LFS said to put an air stone to keep water aerated. Is this a good idea? Please help. Thanks.

I don't think it is too practical to store large quantities of it. The most I have ever stored is 5 gallons over 2 weeks.

I keep mine in a dark area, sealed from the air for a week, maybe 2. No issues here. I seen a LFS sell it and they kept it in a 1000 gallon plastic tank meant for farm liquid fertilizer, I can't assume they sell it overly fast, so it must sit in there for months.... I would think if you stored it, sealed without much air in the container it should be good for a longgggg time, maybe agitate it for a few hours before use. Keep it away from light. Many reefers complain it stinks after sitting for a day or two, I have yet to run into that, but I keep mine sealed away, no access to the atmosphere.

Apart from that I'm not sure on the science of water going bad, theoretically if nothing is growing in it, it should be fine for use.

R/O water will last for a very long time if it is in a glass container. In plastic or metal, the container will leach some chemicals into the water eventually. In glass, there is no leaching but if algae gets in the water it can grow. Rather than paying for shipping R/O water, get an R/O unit for about $200. In the long run, much cheaper and easier.

Due to the rejection rate of the RO membranes it will never truly by ‘pure’ so if kept in the dark you can store RO indefinitely with no issues

I don't think it is too practical to store large quantities of it. The most I have ever stored is 5 gallons over 2 weeks.

I keep mine in a dark area, sealed from the air for a week, maybe 2. No issues here. I seen a LFS sell it and they kept it in a 1000 gallon plastic tank meant for farm liquid fertilizer, I can't assume they sell it overly fast, so it must sit in there for months.... I would think if you stored it, sealed without much air in the container it should be good for a longgggg time, maybe agitate it for a few hours before use. Keep it away from light. Many reefers complain it stinks after sitting for a day or two, I have yet to run into that, but I keep mine sealed away, no access to the atmosphere.

Apart from that I'm not sure on the science of water going bad, theoretically if nothing is growing in it, it should be fine for use.

R/O water will last for a very long time if it is in a glass container. In plastic or metal, the container will leach some chemicals into the water eventually. In glass, there is no leaching but if algae gets in the water it can grow. Rather than paying for shipping R/O water, get an R/O unit for about $200. In the long run, much cheaper and easier.

Due to the rejection rate of the RO membranes it will never truly by ‘pure’ so if kept in the dark you can store RO indefinitely with no issues
Thanks a lot guys

Back
Top Bottom