Strange bacteria growing in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Darth-

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here, stumbled across this site while searching in Yahoo for ways to kill this bacteria in my tank. For a few days now, I've noticed a couple of small green-brownish, almost moldy spots on my tank, followed by what looks like really tiny worms all the way around my tank, they just stick on the sides of the tank, and never move. I guess they're worms though. I don't understand what kind of bacteria it is, or how it got there, but I don't like the looks of this. If anyone can identify this problem for me and tell me how I can treat it, or what kind of medicine I can buy for this, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

any picture?

-Darth- said:
Hi, I'm new here, stumbled across this site while searching in Yahoo for ways to kill this bacteria in my tank. For a few days now, I've noticed a couple of small green-brownish, almost moldy spots on my tank, followed by what looks like really tiny worms all the way around my tank, they just stick on the sides of the tank, and never move. I guess they're worms though. I don't understand what kind of bacteria it is, or how it got there, but I don't like the looks of this. If anyone can identify this problem for me and tell me how I can treat it, or what kind of medicine I can buy for this, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hiya Darth and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

Ok, no pics so I'm going to be making a coupla guesses here:

The green/yellowy stuff and the worms are 2 diff things and I'll deal with em seperately.

Are you sure those green/yellowy spots aren't algae? It sure sounds like it. Lets find out if it is so we can deal with it. I couldn't find a good pic online, but does it look sorta like the back of this tank which is just about covered: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ci756694/lilly/fishtank.jpg (taken from http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ci756694/pics.html)

As for the worms, are they sorta round and whitish? Or flat and whitish? The first would be nematodes, the second planaria. Both are harmless and a sign of extra nutrients in the tank. Do you have really messy eaters like oscars? Best way to get rid of them is to keep the tank very clean. As long as its cycled, do some daily gravel vacs to remove extra food and waste, and to suck up some of the worms. Some fish find them yummy; I had an outbreak of nematodes in my tank and my clown loaches thought they were delicious. If they are really really teeny and don't move at all, see if they sorta have xtra filaments or tentacles on the end thats in the tank water. If so, they're hydra; also harmless unless you have tiny fry. Lets figure out what sorta worms they are and I can add more details once we know.

Back
Top Bottom