Strange cloudy water issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.... just wondering if anyone has seen this phenomena.

I have a 26 gallon tank, 4 months old, cycled with consistent water quality readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <5 nitrates. I do weekly water changes of about 50 to 60%.

The stock is:
10 neon tetras
7 white cloud minnows
3 guppies

After my last water change I noticed that the next morning just after the lights came on that the water was cloudy like a bacterial bloom had occurred. After about 2 hours the water was completely clear. Next morning same thing and again this morning same thing. About 2 hours after the lights come on the water clears. Anyone ever see that?

charlie

Something strange is going on fish deaths now

Woke up this morning to some very sick fish, one has since died and some others probably won't survive the night. It started with my wcmm and moved on to my guppies. I removed the sick fish to a container I had to use as a hospital tank and filled it with fresh water treated with prime. It did not help. So far my neon tetras do not seem to be affected. I checked my water parameters and they are good.
ph 7.0 or close
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate < 10

I did a water change and the situation did not improve. This all started with a water change I did on Sunday past. The only difference with that change was a switch from Aqua brand water treatment to Prime. Could this switch be causing this problem? I have another tank which has be brought up on prime and is doing just fine. I'm really at a loss as to what happened, so sad, I only just started this hobby back in January, really was enjoying it and now not so much. I just purchased another 20 gallon about 3 weeks ago and it is going through a fishless cycle right now. Honestly I've been reading posts here, and learning as much as I can and tried to do everything the "right way". Really discouraged now and feel like just packing it all in. So disappointed .

I'd increase aeration and keep up water changes. Sounds like a bacterial bloom (albeit a bit unusual) and when I get those the tank goes unstable.

Is it worth leaving the lights on for a few days?

I've not heard of prime causing this.

Tap water looks and tests fine? Just checking no change there?

Back
Top Bottom