strange fish behavior when i turn off aquarium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggygirl37

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whenever i turn off the lights in my aquarium the fish all swim around in a sort of frenzy, then they all get really slow and many start swimming on an angle, tilted to one side.

I have a 55gal lightly planted tank with an assortment of tetras and a couple marbled angles.

Is this normal? If not, what could be going on? Ill include a pic of the tank in case that helps

ForumRunner_20130404_114033.jpg

I think it is prety normal. Some of my fish do the same thing when thier light clicks off, and my Angel sleeps sideways consistently. :)

My angels do this too, I second turning the room light off too, my fish seem to do it less when the room is dark too

sorry, as I was saying when they are swimming or sleeping on an angle it's usually due to the light entering the tank from an angle, years ago I saw a study on this where they lit a tank only from the bottom with no other light sources around and eventually got the fish to swim upside down

Can you imagine if day turned to night like a gigantic aquarium light? I'd probably freak out too. :)

Can you imagine if day turned to night like a gigantic aquarium light? I'd probably freak out too. :)

Mine don't, but I have "sunset mode" haha. I use a marineland hidden led along with my t5ho so its steps down gradually from high light to the white LEDs to the moon lights, then to darkness and reverses in the morning

Back
Top Bottom