Strange insect in tank! (Pictures included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdross

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, folks.

While performing maintenance on my 29 gallon freshwater aquarium, I lifted a synthetic rock formation I had in there and found a strange insect-thing lurking in it's darkness! It has six legs, very small rudimentary "wings", and a tail that has three "fans" in a triangle fashion. It swims very well by moving it's tail (and those three fans) left and right.

I setup a website with pictures and more detail here:

http://tinyurl.com/o518

What in the world is this thing?

Dang it Alli I finally was ready to deliver some info on something I actually know about and BANG, scroll down down and there you are!! :D Great job, just another reason why this site is the best!

More than likely it isn't the only larvae in the tank but I imagine it makes a nice snack for our fishy friends. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cool! That looks like it!

Thanks for the info! I don't have any fry... the smallest fish I have are some neon tetras. I removed it gently so I could study it, but I may just re-introduce it for a while... it'll be neat to see what happens. Is that a bad idea?

*grin* Sorry reefnewb; one needs to be quick on the draw in this place ;)

What other kinda fish do you have kdross? Chances are they might eat it (not the neons, they're too small, but large gouramis, angelfish, oscars, other big cichlids and most large omnivorous fish might find it yummy).

Well... the largest fish I have are 2 black skirt tetras and 3 rosy barbs. This thing has been hanging out under that rock... not sure how long, though. The black skirt tetras never venture in there, but the barbs do. So, unless the barbs didn't see it, they're not interested. The skirt tetras, though, try to eat anything. They probably never saw the thing in there... I bet you're right. If I drop it back in, they'll probably make a feast of it.

Drop it in during feeding time; this way you're just about guaranteed they'll notice it.

Back
Top Bottom