Strange issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluehawk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 gallon community tank gets vacuumed and 40% water change weekly. It is beautifully clear and water tests perfect every time. It is hard and pH is 7.6 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are excellent and fish are healthy. 5 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 balloon rams, small pleco, 3 platys and 5 quarter size snails. I have a HOB 30 -60 filter on back and a cascade 1000 canister. Here's the problem. About 72 hours after water change the tank stinks for about 24 hours and then goes back to normal with no odor. Any ideas?

My 55 gallon community tank gets vacuumed and 40% water change weekly. It is beautifully clear and water tests perfect every time. It is hard and pH is 7.6 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are excellent and fish are healthy. 5 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 balloon rams, small pleco, 3 platys and 5 quarter size snails. I have a HOB 30 -60 filter on back and a cascade 1000 canister. Here's the problem. About 72 hours after water change the tank stinks for about 24 hours and then goes back to normal with no odor. Any ideas?

Hi bluehawk: Have you tested the parameters of your tap water? Does it have an odor as well?

Seachem prime
Good choice! :) Have you inspected your filter media recently to see if anything looks unusual (build-up of organic matter, etc.)?

If the filter is okay and everything else looks good, the only thing I can think of to try would be running some activated carbon to see if it controls the odor.

Back
Top Bottom