Strange Kuhli Loach behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys so i got 3 black kuhli loaches and I've done my research and it says that they are very weird acting like they will lay on their sides and act like they are dead but mine aren't like that. All three lay on the bottom after i floated the bag for 35-50 minutes and then they were swimming fine and now they aren't doing anything I read about them they are all on different sides of the tank laying on their backs and breathing heavily and quickly. Before people ask Ph, Ammo, Nitrate, and Nitrites here it is: Ph- 7.5 Ammo- 0 Nitrite- 0 Nitrate- around 15 ppm and the tank is at a constant 76 degrees. Please help! They are in a 40 breeder with a pictus cat, bolivian ram, electric blue ram, 3 kuhli loaches, 1 whiptail locaria, 2 nerite snails, and a small marble angel.

Give them time to settle in. Do you have lots of caves for them hide in? Also I recommend maybe having a couple more to make them more comfortable. They are very social.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Give them time to settle in. Do you have lots of caves for them hide in? Also I recommend maybe having a couple more to make them more comfortable. They are very social.

I have a moopani wood cave and a rock cave that has live plants surrounding the whole tank

They can sometimes be very skittish at first also. That's how my golden weather loach was and my yoyo and angelicus were when I first got them. Just keep a close eye on them

They can sometimes be very skittish at first also. That's how my golden weather loach was and my yoyo and angelicus were when I first got them. Just keep a close eye on them

Were yours lying on their backs on the substrate and breathing heavily?

No, but that's why I advised you to keep a close eye on them (no disrespect). How long ago did you introduce them to the tank?

No, but that's why I advised you to keep a close eye on them (no disrespect). How long ago did you introduce them to the tank?

No disrespect taken because i know what you mean and they seem to be doing better now but just not swimming as much yet

Good, keep me updated! Here's a pic of 1 of my angelicus and my 1 of my yoyo's.

Attachments

• 1428712615396.jpg
    1428712615396.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 1428712638502.jpg
    1428712638502.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 123
Good, keep me updated! Here's a pic of 1 of my angelicus and my 1 of my yoyo's.

I bought the last three black kuhlis from the store can i add say zebra loaches and marble loaches and they would school together or would there be aggression between the different breeds?

The kuhli's are from the Pangio family and the zebra and marble loaches are from the botia family and imo are very different.

I'd stick with kuhli's and they can be kuhli variants.

Back
Top Bottom