Strange thing happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad dog fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I happened to sit down and look at my tank a short time ago and saw some creature with legs making its way to the bottom of the tank. I have no idea what it was but it was promptly eaten by a serpae tetra. Anyone know what this might have been. I haven't put any shrimp in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ohhh we had an "insect" like that as well... No idea what it was. Saw it one time and never again...
Maybe a insect that came to lay eggs?...
Oh well...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Perhaps a damselfly or dragonfly nymph? They appear somewhat shrimp-like but dragon fly nymphs are quite a bit larger. Do you have any live plants?

Almost all of the plants are live. I thought perhaps something may have come on one of the plants?

Live plants that are not disinfected (and/or quarantined) can be hosts to quite an array of creatures! Some are harmless, some can be an annoyance to some people (such as snails) while others are not quite as friendly. My guess is that it was a nymph. Damselfly nymphs are generally not a threat unless you have small creatures (fry, shrimplets, etc) but dragonfly nymphs can take down small fish or adult shrimp. I would not be too concerned as it sounds like your fish are enjoying the occasional wild treat. :)

Thank you for your help. Interesting stuff!?

Back
Top Bottom