Strangeness in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I didn't know where else to post this, but anyways I've lost a considerable amount of fish in my 10g within a few months.

I've lost
3x neons
1x GBR (due to HITH or what ever its called)
1x Dwarf gourami

In order it was 1 neon, GBR, 1 neon, other neon a few weeks later and today the DG. My filter is an aquaclear 20.

The rest of the stock is 2 golden wonder killifish and three cories. All params are perfect. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 30. Wht could be the problem?

That's that I was thinking. One of them was dead at the back of the tank and the others disappeared.

Gouramis are pretty peaceful. I'd like to point out that rams are delicate so that could indicate a problem with your parameters

Gouramis are pretty peaceful. I'd like to point out that rams are delicate so that could indicate a problem with your parameters

The ram died in July and that was after I had an ammonia spike due to switching out my filter too early and HITH disease.

Golden wonder killies are definitely known to attack and eat smaller tetras like neons.

Hmmmm you should stick with one kind or two of fish

Maybe you can put 7-8 other killifish in your tank ? It's a 10 gallon, don't put gourami, some killie, some tetras neons (3)

You can keep 10 neons, or 7-8 killiefish, or 6 cory and 6 neons... But don't put 3 neons and 2-3 killie and a gourami. That's a very bad mix in a 10 gallons.

I would suggest you throw away killie and get something else ? Or maybe keep the killie and put more of them in tha tank ? Danios are schooling fish and easy fish to keep... Do you like bigger fish or smaller fish schooling ?

The ram died in July and that was after I had an ammonia spike due to switching out my filter too early and HITH disease.

When you say HITH, you mean ICK ? or ICH ? Whites spots ???? Whites spots can kill fishs if they don't cure themselfe or if you don't threat them

I didn't know where else to post this, but anyways I've lost a considerable amount of fish in my 10g within a few months.

I've lost
3x neons
1x GBR (due to HITH or what ever its called)
1x Dwarf gourami

In order it was 1 neon, GBR, 1 neon, other neon a few weeks later and today the DG. My filter is an aquaclear 20.

The rest of the stock is 2 golden wonder killifish and three cories. All params are perfect. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 30. Wht could be the problem?

Has there been any visible signs of stress or sickness in the fish? It could easily be a lingering bacterial infection or parasite. Have you attempted to add some aquarium salt? Often this can help fix a problem as long as you don't have plants or salt sensitive fish.

That's that I was thinking. One of them was dead at the back of the tank and the others disappeared.

I've never heard of a gourami attacking anything other than another gourami. I doubt this is the problem.

Hmmmm you should stick with one kind or two of fish

Maybe you can put 7-8 other killifish in your tank ? It's a 10 gallon, don't put gourami, some killie, some tetras neons (3)

You can keep 10 neons, or 7-8 killiefish, or 6 cory and 6 neons... But don't put 3 neons and 2-3 killie and a gourami. That's a very bad mix in a 10 gallons.

I would suggest you throw away killie and get something else ? Or maybe keep the killie and put more of them in tha tank ? Danios are schooling fish and easy fish to keep... Do you like bigger fish or smaller fish schooling ?
I think I'll get rid of the killies and go with endlers or ember tetras. I like smaller fish. Are there any other fish I could get? I also want some rcs.
When you say HITH, you mean ICK ? or ICH ? Whites spots ???? Whites spots can kill fishs if they don't cure themselfe or if you don't threat them
BY HITH I meant hole in the head disease.
Has there been any visible signs of stress or sickness in the fish? It could easily be a lingering bacterial infection or parasite. Have you attempted to add some aquarium salt? Often this can help fix a problem as long as you don't have plants or salt sensitive fish.

I've never heard of a gourami attacking anything other than another gourami. I doubt this is the problem.
I have not considered salt because I have tons of live plants. There were no signs of stress but last night during a WC in the 36g I looked over and saw my DG laying on some plants, swimming weird and had grey and brown patches.:(

I think I'll get rid of the killies and go with endlers or ember tetras. I like smaller fish. Are there any other fish I could get? I also want some rcs.

BY HITH I meant hole in the head disease.

I have not considered salt because I have tons of live plants. There were no signs of stress but last night during a WC in the 36g I looked over and saw my DG laying on some plants, swimming weird and had grey and brown patches.:(

I wouldn't do ember tetras. Tetras are highly active and also need a group of 5 minimum, 7 to feel secure and you simply have too small of a tank for them.

I too believe that the dwarf gourami is not the culprit. DG are extremely peaceful fish. If ANYTHING, they'd attack another gourami.

I would rehome the killie fish OR keep it killie-only - as I have heard from my trusted LFS they do better as species only.

I wouldn't do ember tetras. Tetras are highly active and also need a group of 5 minimum, 7 to feel secure and you simply have too small of a tank for them.

I too believe that the dwarf gourami is not the culprit. DG are extremely peaceful fish. If ANYTHING, they'd attack another gourami.

I would rehome the killie fish OR keep it killie-only - as I have heard from my trusted LFS they do better as species only.

If it's not the DG then I think it would be the killies. I'll try to rehome them and then build my stock up from the cories (which I'll still have).

By experience, salt is TOXIC for plants. It killed a cabomba in 5 days, after 10 days at 0.3% salt, almost all my plants were dying, except my anubia and my java ferns/moss and my hydrophilia difformis. But my fish were find and they cured.

The best thing to do when you buy a fish, is to quarantine new fishs/plants in a smaller tank. Yes yes, plants can transport ich, or maybe fungal or other infections from he LFS tanks....

Amber tetra are active fish, they orange, and they look good. They are schooling fish, so you have to put 6 minimum in your tank, like 6-7-8 fishs. But I will say most tetras require at least 0.9-1m facade to swim. Maybe you prefer keep the killie in this situation ?

For the RCS, Make sure your water remain 100% cycled after you added the fishs you choosed, RCS are very sensitive to ammonia/nitrites spikes. 0.25 ppm of ammonia can stress/kill them.

SO 1 week after you added your tetras, test your water, make sure everything is fine, then add RCS. They require a long acclimatization. (They're very sensitive to PH changes).

In my opinion, RCS are colorfull, they're cleaning my tank, and they stay hidden when they don't want to do nothing. If you're lucky, your RCS will make little babys.

Ember tetra's are nano fish and are perfect for a 10g tank. They also do quite well with shrimp. Other good nano fish for a 10g are Clown Killifish, Scarlet Badis, and Chili Rasbora's just to name a few.

Golden Wonder Killi's get very aggressive as they mature and do not do well with fish smaller than themselves.

As for DG being peaceful and never bothering no one, well that's just not true. DG's have individual personalities and like Betta's can make great community fish or terrors. I finally had to remove my Dwarf Red Flame Gourami from my heavily planted 220g tank as he terrorized everyone, including the large adult angels. He'd chase and nip/bite at whomever was close to him.

The best thing to do when you buy a fish, is to quarantine new fishs/plants in a smaller tank. Yes yes, plants can transport ich, or maybe fungal or other infections from he LFS tanks....

My mom doesn't understand the need for a QT so she won't let me have one, which sucks.

Amber tetra are active fish, they orange, and they look good. They are schooling fish, so you have to put 6 minimum in your tank, like 6-7-8 fishs. But I will say most tetras require at least 0.9-1m facade to swim. Maybe you prefer keep the killie in this situation ?

For the RCS, Make sure your water remain 100% cycled after you added the fishs you choosed, RCS are very sensitive to ammonia/nitrites spikes. 0.25 ppm of ammonia can stress/kill them.

SO 1 week after you added your tetras, test your water, make sure everything is fine, then add RCS. They require a long acclimatization. (They're very sensitive to PH changes).

I would prefer to get rid of the killies as they are getting aggressive, like rivercats said. I was planning to get everything at once but I suppose I should've wait between the fish and shrimp.

Ember tetra's are nano fish and are perfect for a 10g tank. They also do quite well with shrimp. Other good nano fish for a 10g are Clown Killifish, Scarlet Badis, and Chili Rasbora's just to name a few.

Golden Wonder Killi's get very aggressive as they mature and do not do well with fish smaller than themselves.

As for DG being peaceful and never bothering no one, well that's just not true. DG's have individual personalities and like Betta's can make great community fish or terrors. I finally had to remove my Dwarf Red Flame Gourami from my heavily planted 220g tank as he terrorized everyone, including the large adult angels. He'd chase and nip/bite at whomever was close to him.

I think the DG was the cause of the tetras disappearing. Back when I has ghost shrimp he ate them and they were almost as big as the neons. As for my killies, they are already starting to nip at each other. I'm assuming they're both males.

Could I do endlers, chili rasboras and RCS?

Back
Top Bottom