Stressed Guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esimolin24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 2 fancy guppies (1 male 1 female) and a Juli Catfish for about a month (and lotsss of guppy fry). Today I added 3 Harlequin Rasboras. All fish were bought from the same place, a local fish store.

Immediately after adding the Rasboras, I noticed both my guppies seem a bit stressed, but I'm not 100% sure. The male seems jumpy while the female just looks off. Should I expect them to calm down in a little while after they get used to the Rasboras? If not, please give advice.:fish1:

They should calm down and be fine with each other. How big is tank?

Ahh I hope so. My tank is 10 gallons, but I do have a 30 as well. The 2 angelfish in there are fairly small at the moment, maybe about an inch or so.

Yeah my guppies from auction hid for a few days and now just cruise around over the 4ft. First big water change and plant cleanout freaked them out though :)

Yeah my guppies from auction hid for a few days and now just cruise around over the 4ft. First big water change and plant cleanout freaked them out though :)

After waking up this morning and doing a quick headcount, everyone seems to have relaxed. I guess after losing an entire tank of glofish due to inexperience and a franchise pet shop selling me w/o warning, I’ve convinced myself every little thing I do is going to result in hurting my fish. I need to calm down.

Update: I think I've found the source of the problem. A couple nights ago I replaced my small airstone with one of those treasure tank bubblers. it seems like the opening and closing of the tank was creating waves unpleasant for the small fish. I adjusted the air flow so the bubbles would come out less, so there is still surface movement without so much movement underwater. All the fish seem calmer and the Rasboras are grouping again. (I had noticed the smallest of the 3 hiding in a corner up until I adjusted the air flow)

For the most part. One of my rasboras were hiding this morning.. it took 3 people and 10 minutes to find him. Another question: are Rasboras nocturnal or something? They always seem to be hiding when the tank lights are on.

Not mine but I kept at least 6 or 8. Small groups of 3 or 5 can get stressed sometimes. Bigger the group the more outgoing Ime

Back
Top Bottom