Stringy stuff in cycling 55g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldiekeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I recently got a 55g aquarium and set it up. I rinsed out my sand and put it in and it instantly made my water cloudy so I read that turning off the filters helped the dust settle so I left the filters off but after about a week I noticed stringy stuff floating in the water and in the sand. I turned on my filters and left them running while I looked every where online for any help on what It could be. After looking online for a while I have two theory’s. The first is a fungus that grew while there was no circulation in the tank or 2.that I didn’t rinse the sand enough and it came out if the sand. Does anybody know what else it could be ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are the photos

Attachments

• BD18451D-A38F-42D0-81ED-C5C4B428BA87.jpg
    BD18451D-A38F-42D0-81ED-C5C4B428BA87.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 54993B6E-921B-4A0E-987D-9BE6FF9D3F26.jpg
    54993B6E-921B-4A0E-987D-9BE6FF9D3F26.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18
Thats probably a biological bloom. Its common in newly set up tanks and is bacteria feeding on nutrients because they are out of balance and growing in such numbers they become visible and makes the water cloudy.

Bacterial blooms normally clear up as the tank cycles and the nutrients start to balance out.

What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle?

Do you know how to cycle a tank?

Thats probably a biological bloom. Its common in newly set up tanks and is bacteria feeding on nutrients because they are out of balance and growing in such numbers they become visible and makes the water cloudy.

Bacterial blooms normally clear up as the tank cycles and the nutrients start to balance out.

What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle?

Do you know how to cycle a tank?
Yes I do. I am using Fritz’s Fishless fuel to cycle the tank.

Fritz makes my tank cloudy white like that for about an hour while the canister filter runs. Did you shake the bottle alot? I feel like mine looked similar when I didn't shake the bottle to much the first time.

If you weren't running the filter I can see it looking like that. I rand my filter not sure if it's right or wrong but if the nitrifying bacteria really is housed in your bio media inside your filter I think it makes sense that your filter should be on. I'm new to this hobby so I could be wrong.

Fritz makes my tank cloudy white like that for about an hour while the canister filter runs. Did you shake the bottle alot? I feel like mine looked similar when I didn't shake the bottle to much the first time.

If you weren't running the filter I can see it looking like that. I rand my filter not sure if it's right or wrong but if the nitrifying bacteria really is housed in your bio media inside your filter I think it makes sense that your filter should be on. I'm new to this hobby so I could be wrong.
You might be getting confused between fritz fishless fuel and fritz turbostart/fritzyme.

Fishless fuel is an ammonium chloride product, that essentially doses ammonia into the water so beneficial bacteria has something to eat during a fishless cycle. I think you did a fish in cycle so you wont have used this. There is nothing in there that should cloud the water if shaken up. It could cause cloudiness as a nutrient causing a bacterial bloom though.

Turbostart/fritzyme are both bacteria in a bottle (similar to tetra safestart). They are the same as each other, just different concentrations and can help speed up your cycle. This is more likely what you added during your fish in cycle. As this is live bacteria i can see it clouding up the water for a short time.

Back
Top Bottom