Striped peacock eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGGGG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so tomorrow I'm going to get a striped peacock eel, maybe even two. I've done research and read threads on this app, but am still wondering because of the size of their mouth will they eat a mature guppy, neon tetra, danio, or smallish snail? Also is it recommended that there is only one per tank? THANKS! 

Yes another eel fan!! Lol. What tank size?? I HIGHLY doubt that any of the fish you listed would be harmed, i think guppy fry and maybe a very small neon tetra could be eaten, but i would take the risk because the odds ar not very high! Yes 2 pecock eels would do fine together if your tank is big enough :) keep us posted!!

It's a 75 with 2 angles, 2 danios, 1 lonely guppy, and about 20 or so snails. I don't really know this so.... Do these eels breed easily? I'm not trying to get little eelings but it would be cool to see these guys as babies. Also a neon, but he is going with 21 from my other tank to be rehomed with a friend

JoeyGGGG said:
It's a 75 with 2 angles, 2 danios, 1 lonely guppy, and about 20 or so snails. I don't really know this so.... Do these eels breed easily? I'm not trying to get little eelings but it would be cool to see these guys as babies. Also a neon, but he is going with 21 from my other tank to be rehomed with a friend

Great! Okay the eels have not been breed in captivity, so i highly doubt that would happen :( i wish :( and ya you could definitly have 2 pecock eels in a 75 :)!!!!!

I do not know how to post pictures... And I'm only on an iPod 2nd gen so that capability isn't an option. But I can provide vivid details!! He is named Stan the man, Stan for short. He is about 7 inches and is already loved by my adult and baby khuli loaches. Right now he is tunneling around exploring I'm sure. He hasn't Had any interaction with my other tank mates, hopefully they get along. He seems shy, but that's is probably just being new to the tank. Did I mention he's huge!!! The largest fish I've ever cared for. I haven't tried feeding him yet, I was going to go with some earthworms probably. That's about it I think:)

JoeyGGGG said:
I do not know how to post pictures... And I'm only on an iPod 2nd gen so that capability isn't an option. But I can provide vivid details!! He is named Stan the man, Stan for short. He is about 7 inches and is already loved by my adult and baby khuli loaches. Right now he is tunneling around exploring I'm sure. He hasn't Had any interaction with my other tank mates, hopefully they get along. He seems shy, but that's is probably just being new to the tank. Did I mention he's huge!!! The largest fish I've ever cared for. I haven't tried feeding him yet, I was going to go with some earthworms probably. That's about it I think:)

Sounds great! Maybe not go earthworms, they are a great food, but im afraid the eel might mistake the kuhli's for worms later on!

Ooo good point. All I'll have for a few days then would be freeze-dried blood worms. Could that work?

Because freeze dried bloodworms expand in the water, so feeding them right out of the container can cause massive bloating issues depending on how many are eaten.

Have never heard that. Good to know. It's nice to see that he enjoys my sand though:)

Yeah, if you are feeding a few bloodworms you may never have an issue. But, its still a good safety precaution, especially if a lot of bloodworms are going to be fed.

Mine LOVES bloodworms! Lol. We need pics! Just take them on your phone if you have the app and press add photos from camra!

Back
Top Bottom