Striped Raphael Cat Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do these fish do better over a sand substarte and could i keep 2 in the same tank. Also would it be okay to add them to a 75 gallon tank that houses a 2.5 inch oscar the catfish would only be 2.5 inches to though when added and does anyone know their growth rate.

I have a 3 inch Raphael cat in a tank with an 8 inch Oscar and have had no problems. The Raphael tends to be nocturnal and stays at the bottom of the tank.

Will they become adjusted to daylight so you can see them more and what do you feed him.

Mine used to always hid, now he swims around during feeding time then finds a spot to rest

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120506_010150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120506_010150.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 77
Mine hasn't and I've had him quite a long time. I feed him granules. I only see mine once a week. Maybe. He's always hiding in a hollow piece of driftwood.

You can lure them out with Live or Frozen Worms BUT with such a big tank mate if he did come out during the day, the Oscar might have a go.

Instead I'd add moonlights. Blue lighting won't disturb the fish and you can see your catfish.
Striped Raphael's are VERY Nocturnal.

You want to avoid a big fish trying to swallow a catfish with spines. It ends badly for both. I've seen it. http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/striperaph.php

I believe they are territorial cats. If you get a second, have lots of hiding places.

Okay this is off the topic but does anyone know if there is black play sand anywhere.

I wouldn't put play sand in my tank. Idk if you can find black, but I use pool filter sand that you can buy at any local hardware or pool supply store. Have you used sand before?

Yes i have used sand before and i just found some black tahitan moon sand at petco for only 14 dollars for 25lbs so i got 2 of those bags since i already had 20 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom