Striped Raphael Catfish: Compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had a bad day and did what I always do on bad days- bought something for my fish tank. Today it happened to be a new aquaclear filter for my 10 gallon that is coming with me to college. I happened to espy a raphael catfish. I immediately wanted to buy for my 55 gallon but then, in a moment of true self control, thought, "better ask everyone first..."

So here I am.

I would like to know if Senor Raphael (or two?) would go well in my 55 gal that currently houses 4 kuhli loaches and soon to be 4 pelvicachromis pulcher (krib). There is quite a bit of driftwood and slate in my tank for hiding but it is a cat, and they have a tendency to fit things, like their tank mates, in their mouthes :)

Thank you much!

On a side note, if a don't get the raphaels would GBRs go well with the kribs? How many? Thanks again!

Yes you can have a striped raphael in a 55 gal with those tankmates. Be prepared to never see the fish though LOL. I have one, they get fat btw, and I only see it when I do water changes and move things around.

Thanks Zagz! I will pick 'em up tomorrow after work :)

Is it too tight/riskish to put the GBR pair and Krib pairs together as well? (or should I jump that Q over to cichlid?)

Last edited:
They do have the ability of getting to 8" or so but their mouth is fairly small compared to most catfish. Drop some shrimp pellets in late at night as you go to bed and they will be fine. Just don't expect to see them :D

I use to trick mine by leaning a piece of slate against the side of the glass, they would generally stay there as they like tight places. Might give it a shot.

Last edited:
Never kept kribs myself. I have kept GBR's. Kribs are more aggressive than GBR's as far as I know. If there are lots of hiding places and territories it might just be fine. You might try posting the Q about the kribs and rams over in cichlid discussion to get better advice.

Alright thank you all! I happened to come across some juvenile bristlenose plecos (5 for $25, in town they are 29.99 per...) so I opted for those over the raphael. If they weren't so small still I would have gotten it but I would rather have a secure size on the BNs before getting a catfish.

Back
Top Bottom