Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Striped Raphael - Eat Anything??

This is a question I have from years back and just never fully answered...

When I was younger, I had a tank with a number of community to semi-aggressive fish in. It was a nice little tank, about 40g, that lasted long for me. There was one big mystery, though. Fish would disappear!

I would notice a molly, or a barb, or some other fish missing from the tank. No dead fish could be found in the tank. No fish outside the tank, so no leap-out overnight. Just gone.

I had two big bottom feeders in there. Two striped raphaels that seemed to grow rather large pretty quick... up to 4-5 inches if memory serves me correctly. My suspicion was that they were removing these fish. They had very large mouths, it seemed, so I suspected they were either catching some live fish or they were eating the remains if a fish died. It seemed the only plausible explanation for these fish that just vanished.

Those that have kept raphaels or know them well:
1. Does this seem likely or possible as the explanation?
2. How big do they grow? I see web sites say up to 8" but I swear I have seen some very, very large ones in extra large tanks before.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've never heard of a Platydoras Costatus eating or attacking any full sized tankmates, newly hatched fry maybe but never any adult fish. With regards to size I've never seen one over eight inches.

Tags
eat, striped

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com