Strong filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiddlemuffin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, I've been running into issues lately with my whisper filter on my 10 gallon tank. I've had it setup since August and have had no issues. Recently within the past 3 weeks, my guppies and platy's have been getting sucked into the filter and dying. I put pantyhose over the bottom of the filter to prevent this and it's worked, but the filter isn't filtering out. What do I do? I've since taken the pantyhose off and have been watching closely to see if anyone gets sucked up. Thank you.

The filter shouldn't be killing the fish. Usually they get stuck to the filter intake after they are dead. We must dive deeper into the problem. How long has this tank been setup? What is your water change schedule? What do you do with the filter pads when you change the water? Do you use water conditioner? How many and what kind of fish are in this tank?

The filter shouldn't be killing the fish. Usually they get stuck to the filter intake after they are dead. We must dive deeper into the problem. How long has this tank been setup? What is your water change schedule? What do you do with the filter pads when you change the water? Do you use water conditioner? How many and what kind of fish are in this tank?

Tank has been setup since August and I do weekly water changes of about 15-20%. I usually change the filter pad when the filter starts stopping up a bit, which is usually 1.5-2 months. When I change them, I toss them completely. I use the recommended amount of water conditioner on the bottle (though I usually add a little bit more). My tank consists of 5 guppies and 4 platy's. I haven't encountered an issue since having the tank set up.

You shouldn't get rid of the filter pads. They hold all of the beneficial bacteria that helps keep your tank healthy. You should just rinse it with tank water. If you rinse it with tap water, it will kill the bacteria. Also, that is too many fish in such a small tank. The guppies would be fine, but the Platties take it way over the stocking limit.

You should also get yourself a API liquid test kit. That will help you know when your water is being spoiled and needs lager changes. With your stock you would want to do 50% changes every few days.

A weekly 50% change should be sufficient for the stock in the tank. I do however agree that the filter shouldn't be killing healthy fish. How about instead of pantyhose you use a piece of filter sponge instead?

Back
Top Bottom