stupid co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello once again, i have seen and heard that planted and semi planted tanks need a co2 system is this true??? should i get one or can i make one and if its not necessary why do ppl use them or is there any other way to get those benefits with out the co2 system??????

Co2 helps planted tanks alot, theres not really any other way to do it, you can do a DIY however that just means you collect the different parts and put it together honestly I looked into this and dont see how it saves very much money and seems like kind of a hassle. If you can I would get one, infact I am getting one next week haha

diy is made out of 2 liter coke bottles and other things, and you make your own co2 out of sugar, yeast, water mixture. it is completely different than a co2 kit. the kit uses a bottle that holds pressurized co2 that you run through a regulator. the diy thing can be done for pretty cheap. the actual co2 kits can get to be pretty pricey, but are alot easier to get a steady output of co2.

If you keep it fairly low tech you don't have to have additional Co2. Plants will utilize the small amount of co2 that is naturally found in the tank, but it is definitely a limiting factor if you want to increase plant growth.

diy is made out of 2 liter coke bottles and other things, and you make your own co2 out of sugar, yeast, water mixture. it is completely different than a co2 kit. the kit uses a bottle that holds pressurized co2 that you run through a regulator. the diy thing can be done for pretty cheap. the actual co2 kits can get to be pretty pricey, but are alot easier to get a steady output of co2.

well i was talking about a DIY system, as in buying all the parts and putting together yourself, lots of people do this rather then buying a premade kit.

well i was talking about a DIY system, as in buying all the parts and putting together yourself, lots of people do this rather then buying a premade kit.

I don't know very many people that do this. You don't end up saving much or getting a better system. I know that there are people that make post-body systems, but still need to drop the money on a regulator.

Plants will ALWAYS benefit from CO2 being available, either DIY or pressurized. It only becomes necessary when people go out and buy high end lighting (T5s or PCs). Many low-medium light tanks can get away with excel. I'm going to be running both excel and DIY CO2 when my emerced setup finishes growing. Grow faster HC!

As far as cost goes, $150 will get you a tank and milwaukee regulator. You will need to buy gas and diffuser/reactor still ($10-50, depending on quality, etc).

Back
Top Bottom