Stupid fish store :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

:evil: I just stopped by the pet store today and i saw two of the altum colored angels... at least they were the stripes which are my favorite... weather they were true altums or not i got them. I drip acclimated them to my tank and now one of them looks almost dead... barely swimming and kinda falling sideways... Im so mad... because even if he dies and i take him back they didn't have any other striped ones in there... but the other one is doing just fine.

how long had the petstore had them before you brought them home? My LFS has problems with Angels. Their supplier often sends bags with sick and dead angels! Really it isn't the store's fault, though I suppose they could try to find a new supplies. Try seeing if your LFS will put them on hold for you or order in a larger shipment. Then wait and see how they fair in the tanks. Bring home the best specimens no earlier than a week after they have arrived.

well they get their shipments on Friday and this was Petco and i really don't like dealing with them, but they have the cleanest tanks of anywhere i visit and usually their fish are the healthiest. IM not mad at the fish store, im just frustrated becuase i know when i go back they are only going to give me a replacement and there is nothing else there i want besides that particular kind of angel.. erg.. so frustrating!!!

well i went back and of course they didn't have any angels i was looking for so i got 2 female guppies instead (to go with my 1 male and 1 female) and they didnt make me pay for the difference in the price :) kinda nice i guess, although it would've only been a dollar and a quarter more. Im not big on guppies, but my angels like the fry so i guess it wasn't all bad.

oh and they have NEON dwarf rainbow fish on sale for 2.99 but they are out of stock.. they said if i they are still out on Friday they will give me a raincheck.. good deal?

Sorry about the angel. It's too bad. Were they planning on getting any other ones in soon? They might have given you credit for one if they were. Rainchecks are always good IMO.

yeah right.. it's petco remember? lol.. besides, i don't mind the guppies... i just have to look every week to see if they have the striped or blushing angels *my two favorite kinds*

Given that it's Petco, I doubt that those angels were altums. Still, sorry about your loss and I hope the other one does ok.

You should take a rain check on the dwarf neon rainbows... praecox rainbows if I remember correctly? My LFS rarely has them and when they do, they go for $10 each. $2.99 is a steal! :D

I said they were altum color.. i new they weren't pure altums and i don't care, i just have a hard time finding the striped ones around here because they mostly have the koi ones which i don't like.
I will deffinetly get a raincheck for the rainbows if they don't have them tomorrow when i go in..

You should take a rain check on the dwarf neon rainbows... praecox rainbows if I remember correctly? My LFS rarely has them and when they do, they go for $10 each. $2.99 is a steal!

The local store here sells them for around $5.99. $3 is a great price, and the praecox is a nice lookin species too! 8)

they normally go for 6.50 or something like that so i figured it was a decent price... how hardy are rainbowfish?

how hardy are rainbowfish?

Most are very hardy, some species a bit more tender to the water conditions. I've never had a problem keeping rainbows, except that I've lost all of mine to lockjaw. I've only kept Australians though, with no luck ever finding any others that I liked, in the fish store.

The praecox stays small, and is very peaceful.

lockjaw? what causes lockjaw in these fish??? im not worried about teh water quality, my water is excellent except for being very hard and slightly alkaline, but i do water changes weekly... but i meant as far as longevity?

preacox rainbows are hardy( knock on wood I have had my three for over a year) ... they are quite bright ( smarts) and relatively peaceful

Rainbowfish are susceptible to lockjaw probably from their characteristic large mouths and much smaller trachea. I have lost 3 australian rainbows from it over the past three years.

When I posted here on AA about it, everyone concluded that its just one of those weird things that happen.

Like I said, that is just my experience with them. When they were alive, they were the coolest fish ever. I would have loved to keep different species, but I decided to try angelfish instead. :)

Good luck with the praecox!

AshleyNicole said:
they normally go for 6.50 or something like that so i figured it was a decent price... how hardy are rainbowfish?

Well, I have one that holds her own with a male betta. I know, I know... praecox rainbows shouldn't be in with a betta but, by the time I got the betta I couldn't have cared less about whether or not it killed the rainbow. My daughter loved the praecox rainbows... her tank was cycled with cories and a small pleco. We got her the rainbows. This female paired off with a male and they had their egg clutch and KILLED all of the rainbows (at $8 a piece I was kind of ticked off). I don't know if the cories ate the eggs or what but, I didn't want fry anyway. The second time they laid a clutch of eggs, the female killed the male! After that, she started going after the cories too! Evil little monster she was... I can't type her name because it's a bleep. Finally, I just got my daughter a betta and decided who cares if the betta kills the rainbow. It's been almost two years and the two of them keep each other in check. Seems to be a healthy relationship - no injuries to either fish and now the rainbow leaves the cories alone.

Are they hardy? If they don't kill each other. LOL. Sorry - but that's my rainbow story. I think the one we have is an exception to the rule - aggressive in the extreme. They really are beautiful when you have a group of them with complimentary aquascaping, though.

My three rainbow s preacox have lived with dwarf cory pitbull pleco and three different bettas( yes they can be fine together ) .... Mine are the most food agressive fish I have.... just make sure to get a group they like to school lossly

Thanks everyone, i decided not to get the rainbows... mostly becuase im seriously thinking of starting completely over and doing a african cichlid tank! But i have to decide what to do with all of my fish now! LOL.. im thinking of putting my cories and guppies in a 10 gallon planted tank... anyway thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom