Stupid fish wont eat veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank has been set up for a few weeks now and right from the start I wanted to feed my fish a healthy diet. I have tried peas (deshelled), cucumber, zucchini, and freeze dried bloodworms for the inhabitance of my tank, but…

My betta will only eat betta pellets

My tetras will only eat flakes (tried a cucumber once, but haven’t touched it since)

My BN pleco will only eat algae disks

What gives? Should I keep trying or give in and only give processed food from the pet store shelf?

P.S. I prepare the food by boiling it for 3 minutes then rinsing it in cold water so it is nice and soft.

Sometimes it takes a little bit to get fish to eat something new. Try feeding a little bit of the food the fish will eat and some of the new food at the same time. The fish will, hopefully, start to recognize the new food as food and start eating it.

Not all fish will recongnize it as food. I would expect the BN to eat the cucumber or Zuchini but haven't had luck feeding veggies to tetras or bettas myself. I have found the commercially prepared flakes etc to contain a very healthy diet...as judged by the way my fish always grew fast and quite large and lived a long time. :)

have found the commercially prepared flakes etc to contain a very healthy diet..
not all are good though and some better then others.

you can also hold back food for a few days then feed them veggies.

Fish such as bettas are carnivorous and don't naturally eat vegetables so why would you expect them to eat them in your tank, or expect that it would be healthy for them?

+1 for BillD. Bettas are pure carnivorous, so veggies are out, but you can try some blood worms ... mine used to go for that.

The BN should go for the cucumbers. Normally I leave that in the tank overnight. The pleco will gnaw on it in the dark. Note that they don't eat a lot ... so if you put in a big piece, you might not notice a lot of it gone ... but mine will definitely go for veggies.

Back
Top Bottom